Cheap lighting solution for a 20 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BlennyBabe

Rachel
Im leaning toward LED's but I've been out of the hobby so long I dont know which end is up anymore.

My friend has given me his stand and hood. Its so beautiful, Im putting it in the baby's room. It will give me something to stare at while Im nursing in October (Baby boy due 10/7)

The tank is a standard glass 20 gallon. Im going to keep it simple and not go overboard. (easier said than done.) I have a 75 set up right now, but its been neglected for several years. Im going to break it down and use the livestock and equiptment from it for this tank.

Im planning on some LPS and SPS most likely, maybe some mini maxis or ricordias.

I have all the live rock I need. Ill grab some livesand from someone on craigslist or here when its time to add that. (I may go bare bottom for a while, then add just enough sand to cover the bottom)
I have one small firefish and lots of reef safe crabs and inverts.

I have filtration from a Magnum canister and or a penguin emperator 400. Im trying not to spend money, so Ill likely go without a sump or a protein skimmer since I dont already have those. (Actually I have a PS, but not one thats a hang on.

What I really need help with is lighting. Its a pretty small canopy (originally built for one t12 fixture. Ill get measurements and pictures, but its a pretty small space.

The hubby is a computer repairman, and he can solder, so a DIY isnt out of the question. I would rather go with a plug and play retro, but cost is of course a factor.

So what should I get? Links appreciated!

Thanks!

Those are the ones that are like can lighting? Flood lamp incandescent shaped right? I dont have enough height to do that. I would just use it with the canopy off, but I dont want light to flood the whole room when baby is sleeping.

Would something like this work? LED Light tubes

Ok here are some pictures

smugshot3004342-L.jpg

smugshot6692055-L.jpg

smugshot9377190-L.jpg

smugshot3831148-L.jpg

Im leaning to the RapidLED retrofit 12LED kit.

Well if yourGoing to do a diy led set up let me know I was wanting to put one together also. It would be nice to have some help lol

hmmm yeah the PAR38s are basically flood lights (in shape) - so not enough room - but an LED retro kit would prolly work well, or a T5 retro kit - t5s are less succeptable to overheating than LEDs, assuming you go with good quality LEDs (CREE 3W, etc) ull be OK - those tubes you linked really are just for color, not enough power to grow anything. I would be a little concerned about over heading with your enclosed canopy - find a way to add some PC fans for ventilation to be safe.

Ok, after talking with Mike from Rapid LED, I think Im going to get a 12 LED retro kit (ultra premium LEDs)
So I have to buy the kit, a heat sink, a potentiometer, and a 10V adapter. I should spend about $150. Its more than I wanted to spend, but Ill have enough light to grow just about everything I want.

Back