Cheap MH light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i got one! it's affordable and works great for me.

Do you have the exact one? I saw this on Aquatraders. It is an Odyssey light.

How are the T5 Actinics? Does it get washed out from the Halide Bulb?
How is the color of the Halide Bulb?

Do you have the exact one? I saw this on Aquatraders. It is an Odyssey light.

How are the T5 Actinics? Does it get washed out from the Halide Bulb?
How is the color of the Halide Bulb?

i actually have the 250w 24" that does not have antinics but i did add a 15w antinic to it and it was washed out by the halide bulb. i replaced the 15k(white-ish color) to 20K got it from fishneedit for like 25 bucks, and now i'm very happy with it.

Has anyone had any experience with this light or company?
http://cgi.ebay.com/17-24-Metal-Hal...in_0?hash=item4399e93696&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14
It sounds like a good deal. I need a new light for my 20 tall.

FYI it's cheaper if you just go to Auquatraders at http://shop.aquatraders.com

That Ebay seller is robbing you blind with $19.95 shipping. Aquatraders sells that for $99 and free shipping.

I have the 48" Odyssea 2x250w w/4x65w aCtinic and it works great, just plan on getting different bulbs and ballasts in the future to really make the fixture work like it is supposed to.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I think Im going to talk my wife into getting this light for me with the next few weeks.

Plan on replacing the balast if you do get the light. I bought Odyssey 2 24" halide and pc fixtures. Replaced the balast and it was a huge improvement.

+1 on replacing the ballast. Soons as you do it's a completley different light. Good price for that light.

what ballast would work the best? If I need to replace the ballast right off why dont I just order a complete set from someplace else. Price wise it will be about the same.

I have the 24" w/250 MH and actinics. The MH are 15K. The light seemed yellowish. I replaced the ballast with a Lumatek ballast. A world of difference. Very happy with the combination.

I have the 24" w/250 MH and actinics. The MH are 15K. The light seemed yellowish. I replaced the ballast with a Lumatek ballast. A world of difference. Very happy with the combination.

+1 on those Lumatek ballasts. I did the same thing. About $125 form Marine Depot I think. They rock!

Did you buy any extra adapters for the lumatek ballest? I bought the 250w foe my Odyssey lighting, and the connections are not the same. The wires are a diff gauge too. Should I splice them or open the housing to the light and try to conncet them that way? The only thing I worry is that the wire may be soldered inside the unit...Any help would be great!

Did you buy any extra adapters for the lumatek ballest? I bought the 250w foe my Odyssey lighting, and the connections are not the same. The wires are a diff gauge too. Should I splice them or open the housing to the light and try to conncet them that way? The only thing I worry is that the wire may be soldered inside the unit...Any help would be great!

Smitty, I think it sounds like you need to buy a C-13 connector. That was what I did for my cables that came with the lumatek ballasts. They make male and female replacemnt ends that you can attach to the pigtails that come with the ballasts and go to your light fixture. I got mine at Radar Electronics here in the Seattle are but you can find them online all over the place

Back