Cheap Wavemaker

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

What is a cheap way to make some sort of waves in a tank.

I dont have much money but looking to make some alternative flow. Right now I just have three K-3's.

Its a 72 gallon tank.

You can probably use a scwd on your return pump (if you have one) SQUID-WM Premium Aquatics - SQUID-WM . That's probably the cheapest wave making option I can think of. With that said, I prefer a sea-swirl for return instead, but costs a bit more.SEASWIRL Premium Aquatics - SEASWIRL . They also make wavemaking timers for powerheads, but don't know if Koralia's can be put on a timer as such as some pumps can be destroyed by them turning off and on continuously. Only certain pumps can be run like that. Tunze's have nice powerheads that use controllers, but they get a bit pricey. :)

Last edited:
There is also the Natural Wave Wavemaker from Aquarium systems. They are around 50-60 bucks new and they will control 3 pumps and then there is also 3 standard outlets. Im using 1 on my 75 with 3 of the koralia 1400's and it cycles between the 3 and turns them on and off. You can have the pumps cycle on every 30 secs-3minutes.
Heres a link to the product page on marine depot. Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker

The cheapest way i know to make waves is to clean your tank. LOL. Put your glass cleaner in the tank and move it back and forth. u can get great waves.

For this one do you need the special kind of pump. I had a cheap pump break from being on and off

For the natural wave wavemaker they show it being used with maxi jets on marine depot and they give you the option of buying them with it. I am running mine with the new koralia evolutions which are supposed to be ok on wave makers vs the old koralias.

If I may piggyback a question that is similar to the thread... what about adding alternating flow from a closed loop system? Is there a device other than the Squid that takes the input from a closed loop pump and divides it into alternating variable outputs? I thought I remembered seeing something like this on a members build thread but cant find it now. I REALLY want to get all those huge ugly K3's and 4's out of my DT.

A buddy of mine had this thing on the back of his tank it looked like a octopus. It had a rotating valve that would turn inside and have rotating flow from different outlets. I will give him a call at work tomorrow and see what it was called. Maybe someone out there knows what I am talking about.

Back