Checklist: 200 gallon setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PowLow

I'm in the process of planning for a 200 gallon mixed reef. Here's my equipment list, so far. Please tell me what else I should get. Thanks!!!

Display Tank
* 3/4" Acrylic
* Eurobraced
* 48"x30"x32"
* Single overflow in the center

Filtration
* 75 gallon sump (30"x24"x24")
* Protein Skimmer: Euroreef CS8-3
* 150lbs Premium Fiji Live Rock
* 3" DSB in display tank
* Miracle Mud in refugium

Lighting
* (1) 400 watt MH 14K Phoenix bulb
* (2) 400 watt MH 20K Ushio Bulb
* (2) 110 watt VHO Super Actinic Bulbs
* (2) 110 watt VHO Actinic White Bulbs
* (2) Lunar Lights with dimmer from www.thelebos.com
* Sump Lighting = (2) 10K 65watt PC

Temperature Control
* 350 watt Pro-Heat Titanium Heater
* 1/3 HP Current Prime USA In-Line Chiller

Water Circulation
* Return Pump = Mag-Drive 24
* (1) 1" Sea-Swirl
* (2) Taam Seio M-1500

Calcium Reactor
*Knop Calcium Reactor C package

UV Sterilizer
* Pentair Aquatics 25 watt UV Sterilizer

Any recommended brand substitutions??

Is the heater a Won Pro heater? I've found them to be inaccurate. I use two smaller heaters instead of one large one, just in case something happens. Here is a recent thread on Heaters. Look forward to your tank set-up!!!

Question: Does a Mag 24 create very much heat? How are you running it in sump or externally?

can anyone tell me about the benefits of a uv sterilizer, I have been pondering on for my larger tank.

From what I understand, they kill free floating parasites and algae spores. I don't have one though:) HTH

Gotta agree with Nikki on the heater issue, don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. Other than that, it looks really good. I would also go with a couple different kinds of rock, there are alot of great choices out there.

Great looking set up!

Hi Pow Low I like allot of your choices and only have a couple of suggestions.

1. You live in Calf, Unless your home is around Mt Shasta your not going to need a heater with that tank, With over 1600 watts of light going into that tank thats going to be allot of heat!
2.Chiller I would recommend a 1/2 HP over the 1/3 the Mag drive 24 will put out some heat like Ed stated earlier I have one in my sump that will maintain your tank temp when your lights are off another thing to point out about heat during the Day that live rock will absorb and hold allot of heat during the night I don't have a heater in a 150 gallon unit up in Oregon.
3.Lights 3 400 watt metal halides spaced over 48" thats is going to be quite intense. Just to forewarn you that is going to raise your power bill over 150$ a month I am hoping other members will bring up or suggest you only may need 2 400 watt lights.
4.Sea swirls add another 1" to your list put them on opposing ends I had done this on a smaller 75 gallon ( 48" long ) tank with very good results.. Good luck I hope this helps some I also hope to see some pictures:D

Back