Chemistry of a FOLR tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

I have a reef tank and test it once or twice a week for alkinlinity, calcium, mag., Phos., and Nitrates.

I also have a fish-only with live rock tank. I never test it but change the water monthly. I tested alk today on a lark and found it alarmingly low. (tank, however is clean and algae-free)

What should we test for the non-reef tank? Just trying to keep the fishies healthly.

In a FOWLR I would test for all of the above, plus pH now and again. While alkalinity, Mg, and calcium are not of prime importance in respect to your fish, there are plenty of things growing on your LR that need them, like coralline algae and such.

MikeS

Thanks Mike. I'm always wondering exactly which kind of lies the LFS is selling us.

You have me thinking that I need to start testing the FOWLR tank much more frequently and give it much more attention.

Yeah, if nothing else, for the sake of your fish's health...logically, the more closely we can duplicate the conditions these fish are used to in the wild as far as water chemistry, the more likely we are to have success with them in our aquariums.

MikeS

pnikiel

On that FOT you can use SeaChem Labs Marine Buffer, as it will take care of all your needs and pH. Just monitor the pH weekly and adjust if needed with the buffer.

Back