chemistry of marine water tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sanveer

HI

Can u pl help me with the chemistry of marine aqua tanks,like how much percentage of nitrates,nitrites,ammonia and ph should me mantained in the start of marine tank and what are the possibilities that i have to do if the levels of these four above said chemicals becomes too high and how do i bring their levels down so as to mantain a proper stable condition of water in the tank.

Last edited:
are you doing a fish only, fish and live rock or a reef tank?
The goal is to get all of the down to 0 ( ammonia,nitrite,nitrate) ph you want around 8.3

Welcome to Reef Frontiers :)

When you first set up the tank it must cycle so the nitrogens (ammonia, nitrite and eventually nitrate) can get quite high. Since during the cycle process there should be no purposely added life (crustaceans/fish/coral) it is not that much a concern unless a quantity of live rock has been added. Typically the ammonia will rise over the first 7-10 days and subside, then nitrite for 3-6 weeks finally ending up with nitrate. Once the tank is cycled, ammonia and nitrite should be undetectable but nitrate can be as high as 20-50 ppm depending on nutient load. If any live animals make their way in with live rock, water changes will help them survive. If you have added any animals purposely, they should be returned.

Reducing any of these (nitrogens = ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) is done so by repeated water changes. Being sure if using artificial salt is is mixed a day ahead of time to allow the chemistry to stabalize and the salt is completely dissolved.

pH in a newly set up tank will be like a roller coaster. As organics/CO2 fluctual so will the pH. Once the tank has done cycling, pH should eventually stabalize in the 8.3-8.5 area. Again, water changes will help repair any improper levels nbut also be sure the test kist you are using are accurate and not out of date.

Have you ever seen this book locally or can you order it? (click the picture)

I would highly reccomend getting some on hand reading/references that can aid you along in the process.

I would also read through as much of this area as you can...
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Cheers
Steve

Back