chillers, love to hate em

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

koyoteturtle

sargasm fish
Its gettin to be that time, Its gettin hot down here in southern mississipi, not including the humidity. Soo i was wondering if, #1) someone could clue me into a (cough) cheap, but reliable chiller? and #2) what is the absolute minimum hp i need for roughly a 100gal reef? now I know these things arent cheap, but does someone possibly know someone who may have one, a little more affordable for a poor reefer like me?

What kind of lighting are you using, also pumps? Cheap, focus on fans & water evap. Using Fluorescents, external pumps & fans can almost eliminate the need of a chiller, also keeping the room at a reasonable temp. constantly.

I'm using 2 250 wat metal halides, and a dual t-5 actinic strip.
also a mag 18 pump for the return, I got the sps, lps thing goin so i need the lights, also i've tried the fan thing and i have a dedicated air conditioner in the "fish room" also my bedroom.lol anyway, soo.....any suggestions on the above mentioned? I guess I wouldnt be mortally wounded by spending 2 to 250 dollars, with shipping? soo...........

This is a little more money than you were looking to spend but just FYI on a new one with warranty and that new car smell...........

I use a PCI 1/10 on my 90 and it handles it in its sleep. 250 watt halides 5" from the surface. No fans in the canopy even.

I also use one just like it on my 225.......It works really hard and swings a few degrees each day when its warm.........i dont mind the swing, but I imagine Im not doing the chiller any favors working so hard

heres the chiller with temp controller to run your heater as well.....
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=PC-CL-280&Category_Code=pacificcoast

Last edited:
Back