Chillers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mike d

I am looking at adding a chiller to my tank. I have a 190 gallon tank (that includes the Filters and sump) and I was trying to figure out what is the best, what to look for, and who to watch out for. My tank will not get cooler then 82 in the winter and last summer up was up to 86 I would like to hold it at 78. Any suggestions?

Tagging along... I am sure I will be in the market too before summer comes. Noise is an issue for me.

I have about the same water volume in my tank and recently purchased a SL-500 which is a 1/2 hp chiller. No problems and is working great as it should for the price :/

I would consider a 1/3HP since there is very little difference in price. I have a tradewind drop in 1/3 super that has worked well. I know most people do not like dropins, but I don't like leaks. The US models are considerably more expensive, but most mail order places indicate that they are more reliable. Tradewind and Aqualogic are built in California. I am sure there are many different opinion on this, but you now have my experiences

Well after much reseacher on my own I bought a Current Prime Tower Chiller. I look at BTU per dollar and the towers gives 3920 for 3.5 Amps. I have had it up for a month it runs once a day (still cool in the Northwest) and thats about all. This summer should be the real test. I found the chiller for $563.00 and free shipping. I will let you all know how it works out.

Very Good Chillers Mike

Mike I just came across this thread I too have 2 current prime chillers one is 1/3HP with the In line UV light option I don't have the tower model so I think yours is a little more efficiant. ;)
I have been using both of mine for a little more than 3 years and they are doing very well My 1/3 HP is on a 150 gallon reef with 2 each 250 watt halides and 2 each 72" VHO 360 watts this guy has been very good at 78 degrees here every summer In eastern oregon even on them hot days My garage gets a little warm:shock: thats for sure..
I think you made a very good choice good luck ...Jeff

Well after much reseacher on my own I bought a Current Prime Tower Chiller. I look at BTU per dollar and the towers gives 3920 for 3.5 Amps. I have had it up for a month it runs once a day (still cool in the Northwest) and thats about all. This summer should be the real test. I found the chiller for $563.00 and free shipping. I will let you all know how it works out.

How loud are these towers, is there a DB rating on them?
When sizing a chiller you need to determine the most ever pull down you would need, that is what you use to determine the proper size chiller.

Is there a DB rating

I don't have a tower Model Scooter But My Prime 1/3 hp chillers is just a little louder than a Refrigerator and my 1/4 Hp sounds just like the fridge when its running...HTH...Jeff

How loud are these towers, is there a DB rating on them?
When sizing a chiller you need to determine the most ever pull down you would need, that is what you use to determine the proper size chiller.

one more question on these chillers, can you get an external temp. controller or your stuck with what is built in?

thanks for the information!

Most chillers have external plug in temperature controllers. That is definitely the case for Tradewind and Aqualogic. With those you can use any number of temperature controllers.

Most chillers have external plug in temperature controllers

Thanks for posting this Meitzler.:) Scooter Both of my prime chillers are the same way when i bought them they had Aqua Logic Temperature Controllers I chosed the single stage units as I don't have any heaters in my tanks...Jeff

Most chillers have external plug in temperature controllers. That is definitely the case for Tradewind and Aqualogic. With those you can use any number of temperature controllers.

ater the summer

Well the summer is got and winter is here and the chiller work great. To add to the heat this summer I replaced My 150 MH for 400MH and the chiller still only ran two time during the day. How loud was one of the questions I got? As it is my first chiller I don't have much to compare it to but I have a tank room behind my tank so it not bad for me.

any time someone buys a chiller you should consider all your equipment that puts out heat into the water, and lighting, a good rule is that you should have extra pull down power when it is needed, so your chiller doesn't cycle on/off alll day just to try to keep up with the temperature set. a chiller is a investment so don't be cheap and buy exactly that matches your needs, pay the extra few dollars for the next size up, so if in the near future you decide to upgrade to a bigger tank, which this hobby brain washes you to do...

Back