Chocolate Chip Sea Star in my Refugium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I am thinking about getting a Choco chip starfish for my refugium. I know they are not reef safe, but anyone see an issue with one in my refugium? I do have 2 sea cucumbers in my refugium, but otherwise no critters.

thanks,

I agree!! I've been thinking about getting a pair of Harlequin shrimp ever since seeing Herefishy's. I just don't know if they'd eat a CC star all up before it could eat corals...or if I'd have to leave it in sump and cut a leg off now and then.

I guess if you got small one they would get eaten pretty quick. I think the idea is that they regrow the limbs quick so you have a steady supply of food. I'd ask Mike but this is what I understood.

Don

They're pretty tough on snails also...lol

starvssnail.jpg

stareating.jpg

I guess if you got small one they would get eaten pretty quick. I think the idea is that they regrow the limbs quick so you have a steady supply of food. I'd ask Mike but this is what I understood.

Don

Ya, once the shrimp get hold of it, it is upside down and fully immobile. And they will grab it within a couple minutes of introduction.

I have tried the rotating starfish feeder method. Cut off a leg on one star and let it regrow while you move to the next star. Works fine if you remember to keep them fed down in the sump I rarely remember though..

Once the shrimp grabs the star, they will never let it go.
If you pull the star out of the tank, you will be pulling the shrimp out with it.
I think they paralyze it somehow and hold onto their meal for life

I have one in my fuge. I throw a frozen shrimp in there a couple times a week to make sure its fed. It doesn’t seem to bother much in there but the fuge is bigger then a lot of tanks. I also have a live cleaner shrimp and lots of pods and worms and macro algae too. If you didn’t offer it something once in a while I would probably eat whatever it can and before too long there would not be much left but if your already feeding the fish just throw some in for the starfish. That doesn’t seem like a hassle to me.

Back