Choosing the right coral??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rycko_427

emerald crab
A buddy of mine gave me his old compact fluorescent light fixture which has new bulbs, I think its 150W. I know that certain corals need to have more powerful metal halide lights such as clams and anemones, but which ones can I grow using this light?? also which corals would be good for a beginner?

I know that certain corals need to have more powerful metal halide lights such as clams and anemones,.....

Your idea of MH is a bit flawed. You do not need "powerful" metal halides to grow clams or anemones.

T5HO with quality reflectors, will grow anything that 250 MH will grow, especially in your sized tank. I've grown clams, SPS (acropora even) and anemone, for 4 years, in a 75, under 6X54 T5HO. I'm now growing all of the above, in a 200 that's 27" deep, under 10X54HO.

You mention compact fluorescent, but also mention 150W. We need to make sure of this, as it's a bit difficult to come up with 150W, with CF lighting. You could have a 2X96W fixture or 2X65W fixture...etc. So, we need to know, more accurately, what lighting you have, before we can give you good advice.

Just to add to Sid's good comments... I have 2x96W compact fluorescent over my 46g and have some less than fussy SPS in the upper third of the tank, and plenty of LPS. If you place the corals correctly, you don't have to limit yourself to the typical "low light" corals. Just don't think you'll be raising acroporas or clams... but you'll have plenty of choices.

A buddy of mine gave me his old compact fluorescent light fixture which has new bulbs, I think its 150W. I know that certain corals need to have more powerful metal halide lights such as clams and anemones, but which ones can I grow using this light?? also which corals would be good for a beginner?

before I let you think I am a complete mh snob, I have used pc lighting on tanks before and I agree they will do fine for many corals.

I think just about any of the soft corals are excellent teaching corals for a beginner.
If you are ever in the Oly area I can help you out with a couple kenya tree, or some button polyps.

Yea that would be awsome!:) the only problem is that my tank current has Ich:/ and I've read that you dont want to put anything in the tank so that the Ich can go through its 8 week cycle and die..

While it's true that Ich on infects fish, it can be introduced to your tank on corals, live rock, etc. However, those ways of transmission are pretty slight. During your 8 week fishless cycle, you'd probably be safe adding corals, UNLESS you're also doing a hyposalinity treatment. However, if you want to play it totally safe, Finn will still be around, in 8 weeks!! LOL

Ok cool, well im not doing the hyposalinity treatment cuz I still have some snails and hermit crabs in the tank so I guess I'll try and put in some coral:) Finn, let me know what days work best for you to meet up. Thanks again guys!

How long did the cycle last?
How long has it been over?

So, you going to stay with softies?
There are a ton of them.

Sorry about the questions.

Haha no worries:) umm I think the cycle lasted like about 2 weeks, so it's been roughly a month since it's been over. I'm not sure if I'm gunna stay with just softies, most likely tho.

Back