Christmas Favia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snailcrazy

Tortman
I'm new to the Forum in fact this is the first time I've ever used an internet forum. You'll have to excuse me if I end up in the wrong place. I have a reef tank (36 gallon Bow front) with many nice corals blue torts, dendras, gorgonians, rainbow acans, colorful acros, blue tubs and so on. Not my first tank. Have been in the hobby for some time everything seems to be fine nitrates, calcium, DKH ect. It has been running for about a year with no casualties until now. I recently bought a X-mas favia and was doing fine until a few weeks later. It began to melt at one side. I used a tool to cut the dead tissue away (believe it was called a dremmel) But a day or two later new heads starting melting. I have researched favias and know the care but am having problems understanding why it's not doing well. I do think I have a mantis shrimp in the tank (snapping at night but sand bed is straight so I don't think it's a pistol) but it has not caused any damage before. Anyone Have any experience with these. Thanks

At first in the middle of my tank not dir. below the 250 watt halide Then I noticed it was not doing well there any found out it thrives at about 30 feet deep with blue light so I moved it to the bottom of the tank (after I cut the dead tissue away) in the sand out of direct light. I'm running a 250 20000k with 2 65 watt actinics

Last edited:
When you say melting away, is the part that is melting covered with a brown jelly looking slime or goo? If so you will need to cut it back into good flesh and dip the coral before placing it back into your tank. I have gotten good results using ReVive Coral Cleaner as the dip. Another reason for it melting is it is being attacked by another coral sending out its sweepers. Are there any other corals close by say within 2 or 3 inches? The more information you can give us the more we can help you.

It was about 5-6 inches away from some candy canes at first. I've never seen them tanacle out more then a 1/2". I recently cut the dying part away and dipped using an iodine dip. Maybe I should cut more away considering it's dying on the same side I cut it in the first place. ??

I had tried the Iodine dip and it did not work for me but the ReVive did the trick. I now use it for dipping all my fresh cut frags. As for the sweeper tentacles I have a torch coral that is always sweeping and they reach six inches easy and it is a pain but it is a neon green color.

Last edited:
I'll try the Revive. So far it seems to be ok, the melting has stopped after todays iodine treatment. Thanks for all your help I will definately be using this forum again.

Back