cirolanid Isopod, show me pictures please.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
The below article was copied, I would like to learn more about this pest. I think it would be wise to recognize this isopod.
Cirolanid Isopod

This is a type of Crustacean found on saltwater fish. This isopod is a viscous predator. The larvae, unlike most other ?pods, does not go through a free-swimming phase, but hatch as miniature replica?s of their parent. These creatures will wait in the substrate or rocks in your tank until a fish swims close enough for the pod to jump on and clutch the fish with its front two legs. Once the isopod has a firm grip on the fish it will slice the fish open and proceed to eat the blood and muscle tissue.

Symptoms

* Fish is lethargic
* The isopod is visible on the fish.
* Bleeding and open wounds
* Unexpected death of an otherwise healthy fish

Prevention
Quarantine all fish before introducing to the main tank.
Careful examination of the fish before being purchased.

Treatment
Simple removal using tweezers (caution fish may bleed after removal) followed by a treatment with an antibacterial remedy as a precaution.
Use a propriety anti parasitic remedy containing copper. (Follow directions carefully.)

If isopod is in the rocks or substrate

* Break down the tank by removing all rocks substrate and decoration and replacing with new decorations
* Remove all fish for 4 to 6 months to starve all the isopods before adding new fish.

Note
Treat the fish against secondary infections and keep a close eye on them until their wounds have healed.

Does anyone have any more input on this pest?

Other than proper identification, there really not much to add. They can be an issue to get out of the tank but not impossible. Ispods in general are quite common and for the most part, not parasitic.

RE: The part about starving them out, add another 6 months to that. Even the parasitic species can survive on detritus and algaes for quite a long time. Flesh and blood is just the prefered meal.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

Cheers
Steve

Thanks

Awesome, thanks Steve.:) I had heard they look like a potatoe bug with eyes. Its much better when you have a picture.

Fortunately they are uncommon. I think they usually come in on live rock. They also drop off the fish when the lights come on so its not as simple as just plucking them off of the fish. As long as one mature female is in the tank they are tough to get rid of. You can spend a lot of nights with a flashlight waiting for one to jump on a fish. The alternative is to break the tank down and dry everything. I haven't had the pleasure of actually seeing one in an aquarium. I directed a friend to Ron Shimek to ID the nasty little buggers. I can't think of anything worse to get in your tank.

Terry B

I had a severe panic attack shortly after adding forty more pounds of live rock when I found a cirolanid attached to my female clownfish one afternoon. Yes, it was in the afternoon, in broad tanklight. I netted the fish and, after an unsuccessful FW dip, removed the isopod with a pair of hemastats. Panic and mad posting ensued. I hoped against hope that it was an isolated incident, but lo and behold, a couple of days later there was another attached to the fin of the same fish. At this point, there was no way I could catch her, and the bug had its fill and left to hide.

More panic. More gnashing of teeth. I prepared to cycle the 80G tank that sits empty in my basement. I even borrowed an HOB filter for the occasion. Before I ever filled the thing, I was in a not-so-local-fish-store and an employee told me to try a six-line wrasse. I was skeptical to say the least, but what did I have to lose? I was going to have to remove a bunch of fish anyway, so what difference does one make?

I can't say that it was the six-line, but coincidentally, I have seen no more cirolanids. Remember, the last one I saw was never removed from the tank and they breed like crazy, so what interupted their life cycle? I know that my situation is not typical, but it was worth adding to the discussion. (And, Nikki gave me a shout too!)

Conni wanted me to stick my arm in her tank and wait until they all latched on to me to rid her system of them...:D

MikeS

I'm still considering reintroducing some, just to follow through with that expirament: Was it just my little swimmers, or would they like to sample a really big fish?

hmmm Mike :shock: , just for the sake of it, never do it... we need you here :)

Conni that's very interesting those six line sure can do wonders :rolleyes:

Hi!
I have actually read where they can eat thier way out of a fish:shock: I believe it was on a Ron Shimek Forum....on another website

Back