clam lost foot

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NeuroDoc

I have a crocea that has been happy for the past 5 months I have owned him. He liked the spot he was in and had put his foot down attaching to the rock he was on. However in the past week he had begun to turn, simply rotating on his spot on the rock. Last night he was tipped over off the rock and onto the sandbed, and where he had been on the rock was an ~2cm section of his foot.

Do clams do this, just leave their foot behind when they want to move? Should I be worred that the hermits or something else is nibbling at the foot causing this?

Thanks.

I have found a few clam feet. Usually its just fine, they grow a new one and go on with life. If they are stressed, hungry, on the ragged edge of survival they will probley die, but if healthy, and happy, they will be fine.
Hope that helps.

clams will do the from time to time, if the clam is otherwise healthy it will lay down new threads. did you change lighting or flow in the tank?

chris&barb said:
clams will do the from time to time, if the clam is otherwise healthy it will lay down new threads. did you change lighting or flow in the tank?

No change in lighting. Flow was decreased as I turned off a powerhead that was causing my temp to get too high.

The clams are going to be moved into my new tank in a couple of weeks, so I'm actually glad I don't have to worry about getting it's foot off the rock.

My clams have done that before, usually no problem. I just put them back and they attach again.

Have a great vacation!!!!

Back