clam mantel shrinking

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

clammantelmay212006001.jpg

last night I saw a bristle worm under the front right area of the clam. could that be causing it to retract the opposite end of its mantel? I also stopped feeding DT, due to algae breakout. I did feed it again after it started retracting and it opened up a little and then retracted again, which makes me believe it wants food. I have 3 400 watt 10K bulbs and they are more than 3" long I think. I am new to clams so i need help. working on moonlights so I can check for predators easier.

how long have you had the clam?

can you please list all fish, shrimp and crabs.

can you also tell us more about your filtration, all additives you add, do you run carbon, do you use phosphate removing media?

MarineTeng said:
i see an angel in your picture, i know dwarf ones have a reputation of picking at them sometimes

nope no angels, that is a redsea sailfin tang.

Has the clam been inspected for possible parasites including the immediate area around the clam? Don't wait for the moonlights. Use a small flashlight and shade it with your hand.

Also please post your chemistry numbers. High Ca can sometimes be the cause of this.

Cheers
Steve

volvier - have you noticed any areas of the mantle curling up around the edges and/or slime coming off? I'm also interested in the answers to chris&barb's questions.

NaH2O said:
volvier - have you noticed any areas of the mantle curling up around the edges and/or slime coming off? I'm also interested in the answers to chris&barb's questions.

I thought I did, must not have went through, all thay typing...lol will get is asap

snail found, not near clam

snail.jpg

found this guy on some zoanthus, never near the clam, gave it a 5 min. dip in freshwater RO. All I found was a bristle worm under it.

have 2 crocea clams, acropora frags, zoanthus, mushrooms, green tree, pink colt, pom pom xenia, pulsing xenia

red and blue leg crabs, nassarius snail, 2 turbo, cerith snail,

yellow watchman, brown goby, black goby, foxface, pinkish fairy wrasse, redsea sailfin and purple tang, 2 sm. percula,

nitrates 20
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
phosphate .5
PH (using test strip) either 8.4 ideal or 8.8 too high, its hot pink...dang strip
Alk (using test strip) ideal 300, dark blue green

4" DSB, miracle mud, and kent mud in refugium chaeto, and grape macro algae

no carbon, used phosphate down last weekend, iron, iodine, reef builder 2x week, essential vitamins, mag/strontium, reef complete, calcium

new sump/refugium 3 days ago, added 15 gallons to previous sump. Larger refugium area now. 3 400watt 10k halide, 2 72" vho actinic, euro reef cs2-plus skimmer, nautlis 660 gph, return pump, 3 seio 620, 1 seio 820 pump

Last edited:
I'm surprised the image that liveaquaria put up didn't show the classic cone shaped operculum like in this image from our gallery:

450heliacus-snail.jpg

Valerie - you didn't mention how long you had the clam, and whether or not you have seen the edges of the mantle curling up, or any slime coming off? Also, calcium levels?

NaH2O said:
I'm surprised the image that liveaquaria put up didn't show the classic cone shaped operculum like in this image from our gallery:

450heliacus-snail.jpg

Valerie - you didn't mention how long you had the clam, and whether or not you have seen the edges of the mantle curling up, or any slime coming off? Also, calcium levels?

calcium has been good, let me retest and I'll post it, yes the bottom corner was receding from shell, no slime, had it since march or april. I got the Halide lighting end of Feb. so after that....

Volivier have you done any of the things that i suggested in the post you made at CD?

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1672

try this.

start running carbon(about 2L, with 200gph) in a flow through container or canister filter (a bag throun in the sump wont work, you need to pump water through the carbon). stop adding the iron, trace elements, vitamins(anything that may have iron in it)

after you have the carbon running, give the clam a 20 min FWD (match water temp and ph )

I'm Tagging along my wife loves clams But I hate this pinched mantel problem I've heard of a few times in the last year or so !

Back