Clam not doing good - Help needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jamiehill

Utini
I came in to work today and my clam was mostly retracted. It is detached from the rock and the bottom foot area is pulled up into the shell a bit. I also looked inside the clam and there were a couple of the little asterina stars. At least I think that is what they are. The small ones with the uneven legs that blend into the rock real well.

I performed a 25 minute FW dip with water of the same temp & PH as the tank. It is back in the tank now and is completely closed up. I inspected the clam and the water and did not see any pyramid snails, which was my first thought.

Any ideas on further steps to attempt to save the clam, or is it likely done for? I don't have access to any chems for further dipping at work, but I might be able to have my wife bring in anything I might need.

That was my thought, but I wanted another opinion. Thanks Mike. I am going to give it until tomorrow morning just to be sure, but I am pretty sure it is toast.

Those little stars love dead clam flesh. Also look at your skimmer, if it stinks more than usual or has more skimmate I'd just pull it.

Don

If misery loves company, I have recently killed off a couple of my clams too. Stupid and arrogant mistake. Was dosing Kalk at the same time running a Ca Rx to raise Calcium and PH and pushed the DKH up way to high while not testing. Have since learned easier to simply dose to correct levels and then maintain with the reactor.

My sexy shrimp came over and was picking at the clam, so I decided it was time to pull it. I looked a little closer at the clam after pulling it out and it looked pretty bad. The tissue inside the clam was pretty much toast. :(

Back