clam not opening up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I have had 5 clams for going on 6 months and they have all being doing very well, showing new growth and opening wide. However, the other day I noticed one of my Squamosas closed tight. The other clams (including 2 other squamosas) are open and fine as usual. I moved this one clam to another tank after 24 hours of being shut tight, thinking that maybe he was getting bothered. He has still not opened up 12 hours in the other tank (same water).

Any suggestions? I will be very sad if I lose this clam :(

Check for pyramid snails but it could be many things. I'd check water parameters.

Don

What are your water paramaters?
What do you dose the tank with and how do you add it?
What fish and inverts do you have?
How old are your light bulbs?
Can you post a pic?

What are your water paramaters?
What do you dose the tank with and how do you add it?
What fish and inverts do you have?
How old are your light bulbs?
Can you post a pic?

I hold SG very contstant at 1.025
ph constant at 8.3
alk was a little low at 8, increased it to 10
Calcium 380-400

I use kalk wasser drip for most of my needs. I need to add the odd little bit of Alk builder, occasionaly a few drops of iodine, some strontium and magnesium,

In my main, 100 gal display I have B/G chromis (11) yellow tang named poon, coarl beauty, flame angle, some unknown larger angle, a dragonette and a wrasse (lunare I think), Lots of hermit crabs, shrimps and crabs.

My bulbs are faily new, 14K.

As I said, the other 4 clams are fine, I now have this clam in another tank, but same water.

I point the finger at one of the 3 angels. They for the most part aren't clam safe.

Take a plastic pop bottle and cut it in half. Fill it full of 1/4" holes for water circulation and then place it upside down over the clam as a shield. If the clam opens up with in a day or two then you know it is a fish nipping at it.

Hi Travis,
A while back I left a message on your phone to see when it would have been convenient for me to drop by to pay you the $20 I owe you for the skimmer. ( by the way, the skimmer did not have the pump with it, but it did not matter, I used one from a CPR bakpak.
My number in case you lost it : 360/650 9157 (home) and cel : 927 9338.

Best regards to you , and hope your clam is ok!

Denis

I hold SG very contstant at 1.025
ph constant at 8.3
alk was a little low at 8, increased it to 10
Calcium 380-400

I use kalk wasser drip for most of my needs. I need to add the odd little bit of Alk builder, occasionaly a few drops of iodine, some strontium and magnesium,

In my main, 100 gal display I have B/G chromis (11) yellow tang named poon, coarl beauty, flame angle, some unknown larger angle, a dragonette and a wrasse (lunare I think), Lots of hermit crabs, shrimps and crabs.

My bulbs are faily new, 14K.

As I said, the other 4 clams are fine, I now have this clam in another tank, but same water.

The wrasse you got might not be reef safe.

Back