Clam

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
So I have had my clown for about a year and a half now and I have a T. Derasa for about the same amount of time. I have recently noticed that my Clown and clam have become quite close, ( though I think the Clam would have it a different way). I found my clown trying to host in my clam and it is starting to irritate both me and the clam. Has anyone else noticed this happening in their tank or is this something that only seems to happen to me. Any information would be great. I am kind of worried for my clam and would much rather move the clown to the refugium then have the clam die on me.

just a thought...there's a lfs here in spokane that has a large...and seriously LARGE clam, and he's got a clown that swims in and out of it, the whole nine yards. both happy. ?? dont own one myself, but when I saw it couldnt believe it. that relationship has been going on for a while and both seem quite content.

If the clam is being irritated, it will close. Sooo, you hope the clown isn't irritating it, or the clown could get munched. If the clam is staying open, I'd say you're fine. I once had a pair of Cleaner Gobies that seemed to "host" in a T. derasa. Didn't seem to bother the clam at all.

Can you post a pic of the clam and clown. This is pretty normal. But some clams don't adapt to this behavior. I had clowns that hosted in my large squamosa before.

Percula loves the T. Gigas

A shot of my old reef...those were the days...anyhow, when you all were talking about clowns hosting in Tridacna species I had to break out one of my old photos and scan it. This is a snapshot from the 90's so quality is what it is...

This shot shows my Percula swimming and hanging with his T. Gigas host. Right side of picture. They actually were together for quite a few years.

I got the perc when it was pretty small along with one other...one percula met it's maker (don't remember why) and the other then started hosting with the clam. The valve length of the T. Gigas in this shot is about 8 inches or so.

Just for reference, they lived this way for a long time. I had an area where the Croceas, Squamosas, and Hippopus Hippopus' lived but the Perc never seemed interested in any of the others.

Just my two-cents worth...it was sure good to get out the old pictures!!!

Later all your reefers!

Thank you guys and I will get a picture of it on here soon. The clam seems a little irritated by the hole new occupant. He opens but he also likes to retract his flute (if that is a term for it- the exhaust port) when ever the clam comes around.

Observe closely

I have experienced the Tridacna sp retracting a bit when something casts a shadow over the clam....disturbing the light source...say, by a clown that seems to have a new love affair with it.

I know that over time the clam can...I'm not saying will necessarily...become desensitized to this. I guess watch for the mantle to not open up as much or become withdrawn. If that's the case I'd always opt to save the clam...and reassess your fish situation.

Good Luck, this hosting situation could be really cool to watch over time if it works out!

I bought a gigas that had a black clown hosting in it, but that clown was aggresive with the gigas and nipped it tearing at the mantle. I got mad just watching the clown because the tissue of the clam was getting damaged and the clam didn't close. I took the gigas home just to find out that my emperor angel liked to nip at it too, so I had to find the clam a new home. :cry:

The clowns in Kevin's gigas don't seem to damage it.

Back