Classifieds

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Any way to get an edit button? Always end up having to edit once I set up the post.

Also, could there be a 'pick up only' option for shipping? I put in 'N/A' and that translated to None... which could either mean no shipping cost, or no shipping. With it linked to a 'paypal buy' it would be bad if someone paid and misunderstood it as free shipping.

Pretty slick though!

Go to your add and open it. Go to product options in the top right and see if the edit button works for you. I think its the fifth one down.

Dont know about the local pick up part.

Don

Ad looks nice, we'll have to pass this to Mike, I haven't messed with the classifieds yet! That all sounds reasonable though.

Jr you should be able to edit the ad, close it and so on. If you look at your add you will see a pull down menu labeled product, from their it gives you a number of options.

On the paypay I disabled it, the orignal concept of the software was for a site with stuff to sell, so one vendor.

For the balance of it, just be discriptive in your details that you write.

Mojo

OK, I see how to edit. Can never get it right the first time. It was the 5th option down on the pulldown menu in the top right. The text is not there though (or white on white). The icons are visible though. Just not clear what they all are without text.

Had another question about selling multiple items, but I guess if paypal is disabled, its not an issue, as I will manually close the add when all items are gone (instead of it counting down frags remaining or whatever.)

Not sure if you've thought about this, but might want to restrict picture size? Or can it resize for you?
Not sure of the size of the pictures I uploaded, but I think they were pretty big. After I uploaded I was thinking maybe I should have reduced the size so it doesn't suck up server space. I can tell you the exact size when I get home (did these before I headed off to work this morning.) I could see it becoming an issue if everyone is uploading large files from their 5 M-pixel camera, or whatever.

I was prompted for paypal info when entering the ad, but I see it is not displayed in the actual add that was generated. You think its a bad option? Would allow people to 'reserve' the item online before pickup and could facilitate the transfer of funds. I guess it could be abused though it people didn't produce the item in good shape or something.

Anyway, very slick. I like it

Yea the Icons are default and I cant find a place to change it.

On the picture size it resizes them automatically so that shouldnt be an problem that I can see.

On the paypal option, You know I am not sure if its a good or bad thing. I guess if you folks wanted it, I could easily turn it back on. It does allow you to enter your paypal info.

Another good thing about it is that I have a search engine working that area, so it should bring a better prenece.

Let me know I can turn the paypal back on if you want

Mojo

OK, I see how to edit. Can never get it right the first time. It was the 5th option down on the pulldown menu in the top right. The text is not there though (or white on white). The icons are visible though. Just not clear what they all are without text.

Not sure if you have the option but for me, I went to this same drop down menu to see what you were experiencing and if you put the cursor on top of the icon, the icon description pops up for you so really no need for a text description there if Mike can't get it to show up. Give it a shot. Here is what I mean below. :)

Screen shot 1 shows what you see when you click the drop down menu

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Screen shot 2 shows what is displayed when the cursor is placed over the icon (cursor not seen in screen shot for some reason, but it is on top of the icon).

Last edited:
Cool. That works for me. I was more just posting misc. issues I saw since there hasn't been a lot of usage/bug reporting yet than complaining about anything. I think it is pretty slick :)

I get the pop up labels if I just hold my mouse still for a second.

On the paypal option, You know I am not sure if its a good or bad thing. I guess if you folks wanted it, I could easily turn it back on. It does allow you to enter your paypal info.

Another good thing about it is that I have a search engine working that area, so it should bring a better prenece.

Let me know I can turn the paypal back on if you want

Mojo

Also not sure what I think about paypal. It is sweet if not abused, but I could see it bringing up potential problems that are maybe better left alone. If someone PM's you, you can always work out a paypal payment with that person in a pm.

Some issues I could see:

What if multiple people pay you for a single frag via paypal? Not sure if it locks it out after one person purchases. The seller can always refund, but if they don't, that would be a problem....

Also if someone paid, then the seller decided not to deliver or something, or if the pictures were misleading...

Almost seems better to leave it to the people to work out outside of RF so their issues don't become your issues. If someone pm's me they want an item, I can always just give them my paypal and they can do it from the paypal website if that is their preferred payment method (I do like paypal)

Yea and that was my exact thinking to JR. I have learnt its better to think "how can it be abused" then "How can it be used, lol

We will leave it off for now.

Mojo

we used software in car parts website

If you have 1 qty and sell with paypal software will mark sold. If seller does not ship you can ask paypal fore refund

me found easier and faster to sell if to have by now using paypal

What if multiple people pay you for a single frag via paypal? Not sure if it locks it out after one person purchases. The seller can always refund, but if they don't, that would be a problem....

Also if someone paid, then the seller decided not to deliver or something, or if the pictures were misleading...

Almost seems better to leave it to the people to work out outside of RF so their issues don't become your issues. If someone pm's me they want an item, I can always just give them my paypal and they can do it from the paypal website if that is their preferred payment method (I do like paypal)

I have to say that I liked the old classifieds better. I liked that I could see a lot of ads at the same time on one page. I really don't need a photo until I decide that I am interested in the item. I like to scan quickly and scan a lot of classifieds.

What is cumbersome is that reading a classified post that has a lot of replies only to find on the 3rd. page that it has been sold. I have seen this remedied by allowing an edit on the first post to update (in red) that the item(s) are sold, or the price lowered, etc. I have yet to see this abused. YMMV.

Thanks!

Yes and then if the ad is markd sold it will only last the day an then it will be removed from the classifieds all together. Also I have allowed users to be able to edit their ads at anytime and even to delete them. So unless I am missing something its up to the user.

Mojo

Back