Clean-up Crew for 37g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skrymir

Hi,

My 37g (with 15gal sump) tank is just about finished cycling and I've started shopping around for a clean-up crew package. I package I'm considering is from an online vendor and contains:

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 10
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10
Nasssarius Snail: 10
Brittle Star: 2
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 3
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 20

It seems like a pretty good array of inverts, but I'm unsure about to the two brittle stars. I've heard they often get stuck in power heads and the like.

Any opinions, good or bad, on this package would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Skry

Welcome to RF Skry! Sounds like you are finally ready to have some fun!:D I personally don't have a big clean up crew. Only a few local snails I picked up at low tide and the only invert is a coral bandit shrimp I caught. I've heard and seen great things about blue legged hermit crabs, and we have tons here as well as brittle starts, but never ventured into them seeing I have a bb setup. Most people have their preferences and wouldn't dare use crabs and then others, couldn't be without them. From your list, it sounds pretty good to me. Just make sure your rocks are sturdy because brittle stars love to dig under rocks in the day to sleep and sometimes will cause a rock to tip over(LOL) I have a thread here with some photos of all those inverts and stuff if you want to check it out. Here it is and I hope you enjoy it here:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12780

I would say there are to many Astrae snail and hermit crab and I would only suggest one emerald crab. Unless you severly overfeed you tank a good portion of those guys will die. A lot of online vendors are bad about overstocking inverts like that. It sucks, because they are cheaper to buy them this way but you end up dooming them.

Last edited:
It kinda seemed like a lot. I guess I will keep shopping around.

Thanks everyone.

While it may cost you more you might be better off just buying them individually. Unless you find a really good package or know other people that you can split them with they tend not to be the way to go.

Back