clean up crew .

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
needing to know what a kind of clean up crew people woulds suggest
gonna have sand in the tank so I know i need sand snails but how many and how many other snails and hermits and emeralds should I get or what else???

how big of a tank? you have 3 in your sig.... i have some astrea, super nessaurius, and blue leggs mostly.

It's just me, but I wouldn't get any hermits myself. Yeah, they're cool to watch for a while, but half the time they kill the snails and can turn into a nuisance.

I don't like having to clean snail shells out of my tank from them starving so I'm pretty conservative on the amount I have. I've got a 75g with 15 astraea snails, 5 caribbean nerite snails and also a couple margarita snails. For sand sifting, I've only got 8 super tongan nassarius snails. I also had 2 emerald crabs, 1 died. :( Anyway, double that and I'm sure you'd be fine to start with. If you notice you need more, add on to it. Just my .02.

I got a mix of crabs and snails and I will tell you my snail population has dropped and I see hermits running around with snail shells. If I could do it over I think I would just go with snails. I think I would go with Turbo's, Cone's, Conch's and Nassarius Snails. The Conch's are just entertaining to watch the like fling themselves all over the kids love them. Nassarius do a dang good job of turning the sand and keeping it clean. Turbo's and Cone's do a good job on glass and rockwork. Definitely do some shrimp I have 2 Fire red blood shrimp in my 90 that are pretty happy I like them they just hide unless they hungry. I will tell you my Lawnmower Blenny is the best thing for cleaning any algae.

slide a few beers on that bar & I'm sure it will come to you! :D
Once you get it watered down that is! LOL

I was thinking a 10 pryimid snails 10 nassarius (spelling) 2 emeralds 5 turbos , two cleaner shrimp (skunk or fire) and MAYBE a lawnmower blenny..
If the algea gets out of control, I'll add more..
I know I have to use the mag float but the rocks need to be kept clean..

Get you one of these kits, buy some cotton baby diapers & use the #1 on the outside to prevent scratches & keep a slow steady pace inside while cleaning, always keep the pads clean & new on you mag floater!

http://www.bestplasticcleaner.com/
LOL
I was JUST telling my wife that I was going to get one of those kits tomorrow at KEL-TECH and get some microfiber cloth for the tank..

If you get a Lawnmower Blenny get a young one. I guess they have a trend they can get lazy as they age. That's what I hear but mine hasn't slowed down at all.

I agree that the term ''hermit crab'' is synonymous with "reef terrorist". I only have 5 or so in my 75 gal, and they were mostly stowaways on the rock I bought. Even that few though sometimes cause problems like upending frags, killing a few snails (I've lost quite a few margarita snails to the smaller hermits).

However, I give a big +1 on the conch idea. They are very comical looking, almost like a hard-shelled snuffleupagus with their long trunk and cartoonish eyestalks. They're kind of clumsy (my small conch is really good at climbing to the top of the rock, and somehow falling, tumbling all the way to the substrate), but they love detritus and algae. The biggest thing though is that my tongan conch loves bryopsis. He cleared off a rock that was about 4 inches by 4 inches and covered with 2 inch bryopsis in about an hour the other night. A beautiful thing to watch. Anyway, the only downside is that you have to stock the lightly or they may starve. 4 square feet per conch, and you still might need to supplemental feed. I have two in my 75 and so far both seem to be finding adequate food supply.

so two conch 10 nasarius 10 nerties 30 austraea 2 emerald crabs and a lawnmower blenny should just about do it or at least get me started...

Yeah you don't want to add all at one time but.... you need to watch to make sure you stay ahead of any algae problems developing if the critters are not keeping up. Your kids are gonna love feeding time in the tank lol the nassarius snails it funny it's like night of the living dead. Normally you won't see many most will be under the sand bed but the minute you put food in they come up out of the sand bed in a matter of seconds. We have also nicknamed them the Snorks remember the snorks cartoon these snails have a long trunk like the Conch's.

Back