Cleaner Clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bigblue141

Salty Squid
Does anyone know anything about cleaner clams as far as their requirements and what they do for your eco-system?

I also read that you can pick up the same clams from the supermarket and stick them in your tank as well. Any experiences and/or thoughts about that?

And can someone tell me what kind of crab is on my thumbnail. The LFS told me he is a dorma, but I've found on the internet that dorma's are sponge crabs. The closest thing that I've found is that he's a moon crab. He just burrows in the sand, and swims around and eats food without his pinchers like a fish. He also enjoys feedings of chopped shrimp.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about these as well. ISPF (hawaiian raised?) and Saltwaterfish.com (Florida raised) sell them, although I don't think they are the same species. If they require the large amounts of phyto that other clams, like the flame scallop, require then it's just going to end with a bunch of dead clams.

I had thought about using them in the past but had been warned against it by some people due to the fact that they can carry a lot of parisites and things and since clams don't usually take well to being treated with any sort of dips or medications, it's just not worth the hastle.

Thanks for the articles. All the other articles I've been reading about the cleaner clams have all talked about how they "eat" the nitrites out of the water. I thought it sounded "fishy", and thought I'd ask for thoughts and for more information about them.

Can anyone identify the crab I use for my Avitar? and/or have any information on them? :confused::confused::confused:

I've been wondering about these as well. ISPF (hawaiian raised?) and Saltwaterfish.com (Florida raised) sell them.

I purchased some for Saltwaterfish.com (4) and none of them made it more than 3wks, not excatly what happened but I just don't think they are cut-out for our type of tanks. Atleast they weren't expensive :)

You can actually buy them from your local grocery store. I had a few in a nano tank awhile back. I noticed my water to be SLIGHTLY cleaner. But not worth it. They are UGLY. Just little grey blobs haha.

Back