Cleaner shrimp no feeding

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Terrance

I have had my cleaner shrimp for a few months in my coral only tank. No other inverts or fish in my system. No feedings for the past 1-2 months, but this shrimp is still alive. Very surprising. I will feed it a mysis shrimp just for the hardship.

Whats the point of posting about NOT feed your Shrimp? To prove how long it can go without eating before it starves to death? Then because it went so long (hardship) your going to give it a mysis shrimp?! I'm not understanding?

Whats the point of posting about NOT feed your Shrimp? To prove how long it can go without eating before it starves to death? Then because it went so long (hardship) your going to give it a mysis shrimp?! I'm not understanding?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the point of this either.
Bragging rights? :tsk:

Just stating a fact that cleaner shrimp can live long periods without real food. I've seen people freak out since they don't feed for a few days. Maybe my shrimp graze the algae in the tank.

I guess you guys are more sensitive about reef animals since this is your passion.

Just stating a fact that cleaner shrimp can live long periods without real food. I've seen people freak out since they don't feed for a few days. Maybe my shrimp graze the algae in the tank.

I guess you guys are more sensitive about reef animals since this is your passion.

They are carnivores therefore definitely not grazing on algae. I don't think we're being sensitive at all. Nor is our response made out our passion for the hobby. simply put NO animal should be left without food period.

I did not know they are carnivores since all of the shrimps I know are herbivore and will scavenge for anything including algae. It would be appreciated if I had known earlier, and not question whether I was purposely trying to starve this shrimp to death. Please excuse my ignorance.

i fully research a critter or coral thoroughly before i purchase it. why did u buy something u didn't even know how to feed. i dont blame you actually. i blame the pet store or person that sold it too you. when some1 buys from me ask ask about their background before i even catch/frag/bag the critter. kinda like checking out the person and family before u give them a puppy. but every1 is different and your right we do care for every living thing in our tanks unconditionally like its part of the family. would you forget to feed your kids. fish/coral are basically the same in sense as there both helpless and cant feed themselves. let me put u in a 1/4 acre of forest with an impassible fence and not feed u for a couple months. then when i come back and your still alive i throw u a steak. for god sakes man if u cant care for it get rid of it the tank didn't ask for it. its cruel torture to every living creature in there. and i do get life changes fast and find yourself to busy. when i was busy and away for work i had a tank sitter i hired. but now i have the wifey trained and is basically her tank now but i clean the mechanical filtration once a month. well im done ranting and raving im not trying to be mean but open your eyes to the life u have in that tank. take care of it. it cost alot of money at that to flush it down.

I did not know they are carnivores since all of the shrimps I know are herbivore and will scavenge for anything including algae. It would be appreciated if I had known earlier, and not question whether I was purposely trying to starve this shrimp to death. Please excuse my ignorance.

You really NEED to do some research! Clamming ignorance is unacceptable.

I don't think there is anyone here that hasn't made a mistake, or done something to our tanks when we have the wrong info.
I know I have made mistakes, done things wrong, etc.
It's what we do to correct our ways once we do have the right info.
Reseach is important

Not all shrimp are herbivores. Infact I don't know any shrimp thats a herbivore in saltwater to be honest. Take harlequin shrimp, pistol shrimp, bumblebee shrimp, anemone shrimp, etc. as examples. they are all carnivores whether its scavenger, hunters, or even anemone mucus they have a wide variety in diets. Cleaner shrimp are predators themselves.. they prey on the parasites of fish and scavenge for anything else. Like Herefishyfish said, it was probably thriving off something else in the tank like corals, or it lived off die-off in the rocks so your theory your trying to prove is biased.

I don't think there is anyone here that hasn't made a mistake, or done something to our tanks when we have the wrong info.
I know I have made mistakes, done things wrong, etc.
It's what we do to correct our ways once we do have the right info.
Reseach is important

I'm sorry but, not feeding an animal for 2 months is NOT a mistake. It's called neglect.

I'm sorry but, not feeding an animal for 2 months is NOT a mistake. It's called neglect.

I'm not condoning what he did.

However, I'm sure the point has been made.
I'm sure at this point he learned something and can use that knowlege to take better care of his animals.

Back