Cleaner shrimp playing dead??Or just is

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kylehustonvw

I just got a new cleaner shrimp and after acclimating him I released him into the tank and he has just laid on his back for the last hour like hes dead. Is this normal for a cleaner shrimp or is he just done for??

That's strange :confused:. So the second you released him into the tank you watched him hit bottom and flip on his back?

what steps did you use to acclimate the shrimp? and I assume everything went well in the acclimation ?

I was thinking it may have molted if he went in the tank fine and you found him this way a few hours later. I know I've mistaken my molted coral bandit shrimp for the actual shrimp before LOL. LEt us know though if he entered the tank and went belly up right away.

In the meantime, I will move to Leslie's forum as she might have a bit of insight into this. :)

Yes, I made the mistake of buying the shrimp at the LFS store today right when he got his shipment. It wasnt even in a tank yet, So Im sure the shrimp has had a rough day but now since I released it he just lays on his back and you can see his legs move slowly so I know hes still alive I just dont know for how much longer if he is not playing

what steps did you use to acclimate the shrimp? and I assume everything went well in the acclimation ?

I agree with Kirk...What steps did you take to acclimate him? He could be suffering from temperature shock or something else.

haha nope hes dead. Its kinda my fault. I went into the fish store today planning on buying a cleaner shrimp. They had just got their shipment in and was in the process of taking all the fish/inverts from the boxes and putting them in the tanks there. I bought this shrimp before I even seen it swim in a tank(I like to let the fish store sit on there fish for a week or so before I buy just to know they are gonna make it through there long shipping process)

No insight, just the obvious - gotta make sure the critters are healthy before you buy! Kyle, thanks for being willing to share and letting others learn from your experience.

Sounds like the issue is acclimation. Cleaner shrimps are quite hardy if properly acclimated.

Yes, I made the mistake of buying the shrimp at the LFS store today right when he got his shipment. It wasnt even in a tank yet,

Many shippers often rise the salinity on the transport of shrimps it increases their survival rate. When you get a bag often the shrimp have molted right in the bag. Lastly, almost any animal will crash to the bottom if the water is to cold and often look like it is dead.

Back