cleaner shrimp stealing food

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
well i love my cleaner shrimp and he loves going on and off the anemone, but now there's a problem with him, everytime i feed my anemone it's little piece of formula one (the red kind) he shrimp steals it from the anemone.
I tried feeding the shrimp first a litte piece and still he manages to go and steal more from the anemone :shock: , any suggestions on what can i do so he can stop stealing food?

My two cleaner shrimp are thieves too. Try feeding the shrimp more than one little piece. Fill them up first and then feed the anemone. They will stop eating when full. Another option would be to cover the anemone until it is finished eating; I don't recommend this because a hungry shrimp will dig deep into the mouth of the anemone to pull out food... this of course damages it :(

lol Zack :) .
I tried giving him a semi decent piece and he ate it and went to the anemone and stole the piece it was eating (i didn't know he was this hungry), i even tryed putting the turkey paster in front of him so he wouldn't go close, but he doesn't care he just wants the food :p, i guess i'll try giving him a bigger piece and hopefully that'd keep him busy while the anemone eats :)

I have the same problem when feeding my candy cane, it's funny when there are little mysis tails hanging out of their "bubbles" and the little theives scuttle up and steal the mysis. Sigh. I've resorted to squirting the cleaners with my turkey baster when they make a move to approach. I have three though, so it's like herding bubbles :D

That's funny Gabby(LOL) When I had my anemone, I use to feed him pilchards (small silver fish) and I figured they were too heavy for my coral bandit shrimp to carry because he never went after it. I don't know what suggestion to give you...Maybe put a leash on your shrimp and tie him up when you feed your anemone:lol:

3:shock: wwouuu Shaunna, i can barely handle one :) .

Sure Krish, i'll do that and may be i can show him how to roll over too :lol: :D

I had to put a cup over my sun corals just to make sure they were getting fed.....the cleaner was always taking the food.
Look what it did even with the cup!! :rolleyes:
PB139154.jpg

Back