Cleaning Equipment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DolphinLVR

RF Premium Member
Ok all please bear with me as I ask some pretty Lame questions!

I am going to be using some muratic acid to clean up some equipment I recieved!

1) is it ok to put a pump in this acid/water mixture?

2) How about rubber hoses?

Muratic acid can safely be used to clean most equipment, IF you follow some guidelines.

If you've never worked with Muratic acid, it's VERY important to mix it correctly. Always add Acid to water, NEVER add water to Acid. A good ratio is 1:10 Acid:Water. OUTSIDE. It not only STINKS, but the vapors are harmful.

Your pump, rubber and plastic hoses, should be just fine.

Jeff,

Important: Do NOT overlook to work with this stuff OUTSIDE. As the vapors are very harmful in close quarters. i would also recommend rubber gloves, protective eye goggles for full protection.

Hey Jeff, another safer acid for general/anual maintenance is a cup of vineger in a 5g bucket of water. Let soak for an hour or so then brush off. This is great for cleaning out pumps/powerheads and Loc-line of calcerious critters.

Todd

Yeah I was debating which way I wanted to go Todd, I think for future cleaning, I will go with the vineger, but I wanted to get the skimmer i got all cleaned up and in place...LOL

I would let the skimmer soak in vinger and hot water and let it run like that for a few days that should clean all the oils off and will start skimming sooner I would say 3 days. acid on acrylic I am not too sure about. thats a tough one there. may have a yellow skimmer all said and done.

Back