Cleaning Filter Socks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just wash them in the wash with bleach and run through the rinse cycle twice. Then air dry and ready to go..

i rinse mine in the sink really well and toss them in the washer without any cleaning agents...i think i will try some light bleach one of these times...the socks are never white like they used to be

I've read that using the washer can introduce soap residue into the sock. I've always just taken mine out into the backyard and used a garden hose and sprayer that's set on jet so it acts more like a pressure washer. Then, I soak in bleach for a couple of hours and vigorously rinse and let dry for about 2 weeks, and use my spare. They come out white as new, but the downside is using garden hose when it's 35 degrees out. :shock:

I just turn off my powerheads and pull the socks. I spray the bejeebers outta them with the garden hose until they are as clean as i can possibly get them. Then I just stick em' right back on and turn the power back on. A-B-C easy as 1-2-3. I fear chemicals of any kind in my tank. I must be some sort of a closet Hippie.

Back