Cleaning Halide Bulbs and/or Glass

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

76Frags

So I had a couple halide bulbs with salt splatter on them, and had always heard that if you touched the bulbs the oil from your hands would cause the heat to concentrate in one spot and the bulb would burst.

I found a great way to clean the salt off (which may be common knowledge to some) but I thought I'd share. Holding the bulbs by the metal socket part - take a cotton ball covered in apple cider vinegar (regular vinegar would probably work too) and wipe the bulb completely until the spots are gone. The bulb will then become very cloudy. Follow up with rubbing alcohol and a cotton towel. Rubbing firmly with the towel will remove the remaining smudges, and you're ready to reinstall.

This works great on any glass with salt on it as well.:D

Very nice technique. I just switched out my MH bulbs and stood there for a while looking for smudge marks before firing them up. The last thing you want to hear is POP!!

I've always used sprayway glass cleaner and a microfiber but it doesn't always get the real baked on stuff. I'll have to give this a try!

I always wear nitrile surgical gloves when handling my bulbs. That allows me to clean them thoroughly and install them in their sockets without worrying about getting skin oil on the glass. Other than that I just use soap and water on the glass, freshwater rinse, dry thoroughly, and reinstall. Hadn't thought of using vinegar on the deposits but I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Mike

FWIW, Ive always used my bare hands to install a new bulb and then simply wipe it off with the inside of my T-shirt or a clean towel. Ive never had a bulb burn out prematurely or blow up doing it this way either at work or in the hobby. DE bulbs IMO would be far more likely to blow up or burn out from oil as opposed to a mogule socket which has an exterior sheild over the actual bulb.

Like I said, the vinegar works great. Even on the glass that shields HQI bulbs. When the salt gets really baked on it cuts right through. Just make sure to follow up with alcohol to break down the residue.

Back