Cleaning off Deadrock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mgarin11

I just recieved some rock that was in a established reef tank, its since been sitting a plastic bin with all the life dried to death so to speak. I was told that cleaning them off with a garden hose would be fine prior to dropping it in my tank and if i wanted to take extra precaution i could boil the rock.... I was wondering if anyone has any inputs in cleaning deadrock, oh and also my tank is currently cycling with live rock and live sand, will putting the dead rock in set my cycle back??

Are you talking about the rock you got from me?

Mike

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How long has the rock been sitting? I guess a good boiling wouldn't hurt just to be safe then a nice rinse with a hose with pretty good pressure just to remove any loose debris or anything that is lodged in the nooks and crannies should do the trick. Better safe than sorry IMO. :)

I'm really not sure about how long the rock has been sitting in the container, i boiled the rock for about an hour lol. got a lot of gunk out. Will putting in my tank mess with my cycling? As of this morning my ammonia hit 0, so i'm just concerned if its gonna recycle.....

boiling is great! I love how much crud falls outta it - it smells up the house tho!! My husband hates me every time I do it hahaha

I usually boil it until I get bored, then maybe bake it a bit..... If you are concerned about it having nitrates bound up in it you can soak it in muriatic acid (PH down at your hot tub/pool store) - the acid lowers the PH of the water, and will break down any of those pockets of hardened minerals - just be sure to rinse it really good before you put it in your tank!

haha yah it does stink up the house, i don't think its as bad as boiling dungeness crab though lol. I think i'm gonna boil it again to get the rest of the gunk out and then give it one last good rinse........

thank you both for the advice.

haha yah it does stink up the house, i don't think its as bad as boiling dungeness crab though lol. I think i'm gonna boil it again to get the rest of the gunk out and then give it one last good rinse........

thank you both for the advice.

shame on you! Dungeness crab smells awesome when cooking! We cook it Singapore chilli crab style mmmmm!
I just bleached and acid washed mine, it was disgusting lol

Back