Cleaning powerheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

Does anyone ever clean their powerheads? We have two K3 up toward the top of the tank and one is really getting caked on the outside of the case already after only 6 weeks. It started with diatom and then some green algae started growing. The tang will nip at it occasionally but not often enough to make a difference. Now in the last couple of days there is a white fuzzy growth starting over all of it. Normal? Should we make it a routine thing to clean them or just let it go? It's not very pretty but we know not all things are in this hobby. Healthy is more important.

I clean my Koralia's about once every 1 or 2 months. Just don't try boiling them to clean them. Don't ask how I know this, just know it's a no-no :)

I usually end up cleaning my powerheads every 6 months or so by soaking them in straight vinerger overnight.

I just scrubbed the heck out of my k4 the other day, rinsed it, put it back together, and threw it back in.

I cleaned my pair of K1s a few weeks ago. They had some GHA on them and were generally just caked all over. They hardly put out any flow. Took em apart and used a toothbrush to clean them up

OK. It's added to the to-do list each month. One is soaking now. Thanks everyone.

I feel bad I cleaned mine after a year LOL
It was so caked with coraline algae .
About time to do it again..
About once a month I grab a snail and put it on the top of my K-4 and let it clean it...

to get coraline off i run mine in RODI water for awhile. Probably a week or so. comes out sparkly and new. I have 2 and i rotate them in and out.

yup..white vinegar is what i use...use a empty salt bucket with RO water and vinegar and turn on the powerhead in the bucket for about 20-30 mins...stuff comes right off..

+1 for running the pump in vinegar. Works real good to remove the calcium buildup in & around the impeller. Occassionally need to scrub the outside of the powerhead too.

Soaked it in vinegar and water overnight, scrubbed it this morning and nice and sparkling clean.

For the green algea on the outside every once in a while I just grab a snail and put them on the PH and usually by the time the snail figures out how to get off it is clean.

I do take out the PH and clean in vinegar a couple times of year (the snail cannot clean inside)

I used about a 50/50 mix with RO water and it loosened everything in an hour or two so that a quick brushing with a tooth brush made them look like new.

Back