Cleaning Sand Surface

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kurt

What is the best way to clean live sand surface? It is starting to darkening up and looking not as good as before.

I'm interested in this topic too. I have read elsewhere that people say it's a bad idea to stir up the substrate. Is it?

Get yourself a gravel cleaner siphon hose like those famous “Python’s” and clean out a little section of your sand bed on each water change. Don’t try to clean the entire sand bed in a single water change because this may disrupt the bio-filtration activities that are already established there. :)

I agree with Rob also, depending on what sand bed you are running will determine how deep you can vaccum. A deep sand bed, you don't want to disrupt the lower levels by vaccuming too deep, but with a shallow sand bed, you can go and should go, straight through to the bottom:)

Kurt,

do you have any gobies (or any other maintenace crew) to assist you in cleaning the sand surface.
An Orange Diamond Goby would be a good choice.

Kurt,

do you have any gobies (or any other maintenace crew) to assist you in cleaning the sand surface.
An Orange Diamond Goby would be a good choice.

No I do not, just some turbo snails, blue legs hermit and banded coral shrimp

Back