Cleaning tough stains from glass

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lshin037

I acquired a 100-gallon tank that has been 1/3 filled with water and sitting there for more than 2 years. The tank was really nasty. I cleaned it out and the only thing left is this white ring around where the water level was. I've tried vinegar (diluted and full strength), oxiclean, bleach, hot water, CLR, and finally muriatic acid (diluted and full strength!!). This stain won't budge. Not even a little bit. Is there any other way or any other chemical I can use to get it off? I'd appreciate any help. If not, I might have to bite the bullet and set it up even if it has a line going across the tank (less viewing pleasure, but more comfortable inhabitants).

pactrop said:
I have had a tank like that before. Lime-away worked but it still wasnt easy.

How did you apply it? Did you let it soak for a few hours? Scrubbed?
I used CLR, which is pretty much the same thing, and scrubbed with a nylon brush.

Welcome to RF to the both of you! I'm sure you will get some great help and answers from our very knowledgable members :D

jake65 said:
Welcome to RF to the both of you! I'm sure you will get some great help and answers from our very knowledgable members :D

Thank you. I hope so. This stain has been driving me insane the last couple days.

This sucks!!

Thank you all for the advice.
I've given up trying to get the stain off and will be setting up the tank as is. It must be chemically etched on.

You can try using a razor blade BE CAREFUL! I have used it on my freshwater aquariums where the water level was low and received the white ring. I also use the razor blade to get coralline off my reef tank. The razor blade works great! It shouldn't scratch the glass unless you press way too hard. Try it on the side corner first. My experience has been that you won't need that much pressure to remove the white stain. You should soak it with water or some of the other agents you mentioned previously to make it even easier. DON"T TRY THIS WITH ACRYLIC :)

Domboski said:
You can try using a razor blade BE CAREFUL! I have used it on my freshwater aquariums where the water level was low and received the white ring. I also use the razor blade to get coralline off my reef tank. The razor blade works great! It shouldn't scratch the glass unless you press way too hard. Try it on the side corner first. My experience has been that you won't need that much pressure to remove the white stain. You should soak it with water or some of the other agents you mentioned previously to make it even easier. DON"T TRY THIS WITH ACRYLIC :)

I've tried using a razor blade. I think it's etched on. I even tried full strength muriatic acid!!! Thanks for the tip though.

Back