Closed Loop Design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tatert5

Hey all! Just picked up a 180G Bowfront tank. I am in the process of planning out the setup and am trying to decide how I want to design my CL system. My thought thus far......4 returns bulkheaded through the overflows. Top two circulating one direction and the bottom two going the other direction. Looking for ideas, cirtiques, thoughts etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin - where are the overflows on this tank...the back corners? Also, would you be willing to drill holes in the back of the tank, in between the overflow boxes, as opposed to going through the boxes? What are you going to keep in the tank (coral types, etc)? Are you going to have substrate?

How much room do you have in the overflows? I ask because you'll need to also drain water to the sump, these usually take up lots of room because of the standpipe. You could design an over the top CL, these will work very well.

I echo Nikki and Scooter and then don't forget if you don't want to plumb all that much, aren't into drilling etc, then there is always a few Tunzes you can use ;)

The overflows are in the back corners. They are 6x6 so I don't believe that the plumbing for two returns on each side would impede water flow to the sump enough to retard flow to the sump. I will be running softies and will have sand as a substrate.

As far as drilling in the back....it is also an option I have considered. I also looked at plumbing some pvc across the back and 45'd at the ends with lock line spaced throughout. Just wondered if anyone has some thoughts on the benefits regarding flow and ease of maintenance, etc.

Kevin

Sounds like you will have your sump drain & return plumbing in the two overflow boxes? One set on each a side, that will take up lots of room, trying to run extra plumbing through the boxes will require a third hole at the bottom of each box, I don't see how this will work unless I'm not understanding your intentions here? Is this a glass tank or acrylic?

I understand what Scooter is saying and it wants to sound like you want 2 returns and 1 drain per overflow which may be a little tight. Not to mention how close the holes will have to be in order for them to fit which may make the bottom pretty weak. Just a thought...:)

I think you may be right about the overflows being too tight. The other concern I have thought of with this design is that the flow will be limited by the reef structure as well. I am thinking I will either do an over top CL or drill through the back and run pvc under the substrate.

Thank you all for your input. Very helpful.

Kevin

Why would you run pvc under the substrate?
Maybe try & sketch something up in paint so we can get a better idea of what your talking about?

Scooter....didn't have a chance to sketch something up, but I will try to explain. I considered running the returns into some pvc that would go along the back of the tank and then 45 out at the ends. I will drill in for lock line so that I am able to direct flow. Probably have between 4 and 6 locklines in the entire structure pointing in different directions. I am thinking of getting a sequence pump somewhere in the 3k gph range to run the CL. Let me know what you think. I haven't done a CL before so am working to find the easiest method with the best flow results.

One of the main goals is to have max flow with as little visible equipment in the tank. This rules out powerheads....my wife hates them! And for those that know...gotta keep the wife smiling. :)

Kevin

Last edited:
Back