closed loop help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltyreefguy

i am putting a 135 together, previous owned, there are 4 holes drilled in the backside, with center overflow. so the 4 holes are drilled in a rectangular pattern, i have never down a closed loop system, so i was wondering can i use the 2 holes out of the 4 to make a closed loop, and some help from scratch on how to put it together would help. thanks.

Welcome to RF!!! :) As for the closed loop, what size holes are they and are they in any way part of the overflow? Also, what size pump do you plan to use? The reason why is because certain pumps have different sized output and input requirements and if the hole in the tank is too small, it may put a lot of strain on the pump and affect the flow as well as the pump. Also, some people tend to use 2 points of suction depending on what size the pump is, to help minimize the amount of suction force they get from each point (bulkhead). Just imagine a fish swimming pass a single bulkhead that is sucking in water at 2000 gph! :eek: It would be much better in that case to share it between to bulkheads and have 1000 gph sucking at each bulkhead. Let us know though on the size of the holes as well as your plans for a pump which will allow us to better help you. I'm thinking though for that sized tank, you may be better off using all 4 bulkheads, but we'll see. :)

Cl

What size holes? i use just one 1 1/2 for the main input, and 4 3/4 returns. plug the other holes. I found that in this design there were less 90's to slow down the flow, and this is stupid simple to plumb. happy reeffin!

What pump?

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02731.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

Last edited:
This was my CL actually two cl's, you can see what krish is talking about with the two pump inlets.
356125_011.jpg

Don

cl

thanks for the pics and comments, the 4 holes that i have,(i think are 11/2" holes), but i am going to take a picture of the backside of the tank so you can see the holes, and here's question, is the cl system more beneficial or just a different setup(i should say what are the pros and cons of the cl), and i noticed no sump on some setups, does it matter to have a sump or not when having the cl setup? thanks in advance. for the pump i was thinking of using a iwaki 40, since i want a sump and that will have a return pump back into the tank.

Closed loop really has nothing to do with the sump. Both the system above use a sump but that some completly seperate from a cl. Cl's actually are about looks more than anything else. No powerheads in the tank for flow is more appealing to some.

Don

donw, i noticed your tank doesn't have a sump, is your water evap. any less or same with the cl or without?

It had a sump that is a build pic while it was in the shop:). It had 50 gallon sump. It evaped about 7 gallons a day with no fans almost 10 with fans.

Don

Back