Closed loop info

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
I need a little help here as i cant find much info.

We have a 125 flat back hex with a over flow in the middle.

We would like to do a closed loop and have some one willing to come and do the plumbing but we need to figure out ware we want the holes.

any tipes on ware good place ment would be to drill the holes?

We also need to buy a pump for the closed loop. Should the pump be as strong as the skimmer pump or stronger to get past all the elbows in the closed loop i hear thats ware you loose a lot of water flow.

The back is 24x60 again with a center over flow.

The skimmer has a 450 gph pump on it.

gonna needmore than 500 GPH for a CL
I have a 3600 GPH pump. in my 125...
And two K-4's and a return pump..
Approx 6000+ GPH..

here is a pic of the closed loop idea i had just wondering if it would work?

I think we miht get two smaller pumps rather then one big one. Should i add more holes if we do do that?

Or if some one can help me with the design needed?

i ant get a picture up but to give you an idea....The over flow is in the middle of the tank and has two holes in the top for water flow. I would like two more on each side of the over flow on the bottom of the tank one hole on each side of the overflow in the middle of the tank, and one hole on the far end at the top on each side of the overflow.

So that makes eight holes.

Um ok inlet ware? In the back of the stand or? this is ware it gets all confusing.

When you say it has 2 holes at the top, I'm assuming you mean they are on the back wall correct? Better make sure that 125g doesn't have tempered glass.

Last edited:
its arylic. It has two holes for overflow on the bottom of the tank and one on top for flow.

i just finished my 120 acrylic. You will need an intake to go to the pump maybe 2 depending on the size of pump, I have a dolphin 3000, with a 1" intake and 1 1/2" output. My output is split off the pump to 2-1" outs, one goes to a bottom lockline distributing across the bottom, the other goes to a SCWD water director so I have it go to one end of the tank with holes top & bottom, then it switches to the other end of the tank to reverse the flow. Find your pump, then your bulkheads, from them go to individual ball valves then use flex (spa) tube for distribution. sorry so terse, out of town at the moment...

Ok inlet means, you need to pull water from the tank (not the overflow) to the CL pump and then the returns, of course, are returns.

Alright that makes sence i was thinking all the water would be coming from the sump/fuge.

Before you have any drilling done on your tank, see if you can post a picture of your proposed design.

Part of your design should include a union ball valve on the inlet to your closed loop pump. Also include a union gate valve (or a ball valve) on the outlet plumbing of your closed loop pump.

The union valves will enable you to closed the closed loop plumbing lines completely and remove your pump for maintenance when required. The valve on the outlet of your closed loop pump also enables you to control how much flow is being supplied to the tank through your closed loop. The ball valve on the inlet of your closed loop pump should always be completely open except for when you remove the pump for maintenance. Water flow through pumps should only be controlled with valves on the outlet end of the pump.

I will see if I can find a good online resource with closed loop info.

Gary

I did know about the valves part! That was abig deal to us was being able to close everything off if we needed to do something to the tank or to the plumbing. So idealy we would like to have it so if we need to drain the tank we can.

Does that make sence?

yes to drain the tank and to clean the pipes for the CL and or change out pumps..
If you pull everything from the sump that would just be dual return pumps..
A CLOSED LOOP just moves water..no filtration..
Why dont you come check out my tank when you get a chance..
I live 5 mins from you on 96th and fawcett ave..

We were going to stop by after the frag swap meet thing. If thats cool.

But i think i get the idea of how it works now. Its just really hard to read through other people's posts. I need to see what they are talking about other wise i just dont get it. :rolleyes:

Cool! im exited to to see it in person its so hard to tell whats what from pictures!

Back