Closed loop question....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
Ok,

So I am starting the plumbing on my standard 180 6'x2'x2'. It has a center overflow with two return lines from the sump. The return pump for that is an iwaki 40RLT. (Japanese motor) For the closed loop I have a reeflo barracuda.

I currently have 3/4" bulkheads for the return on this centered on the back of each side of the aquarium. How many more return should I run on the closed loop. I was thinking of doing split locline on the floor of each end pointing to the the front and back wall of the aquarium. Any input?

Seth

If you only have two returns on the edges of the tank then you'll need several more. Your closed loop pump is rated at 4,500 gph. 3/4 locline can handle 1,140 GPH So you'll need at the minimum two more returns. Also take in mind that when you use the 3/4" Y that doesn't allow for 2x1140 gph, it actually splits the 1140 total. So each nozzle at that point would be putting out 570 GPH.

If you only have two returns on the edges of the tank then you'll need several more. Your closed loop pump is rated at 4,500 gph. 3/4 locline can handle 1,140 GPH So you'll need at the minimum two more returns. Also take in mind that when you use the 3/4" Y that doesn't allow for 2x1140 gph, it actually splits the 1140 total. So each nozzle at that point would be putting out 570 GPH.

I drilled for 2 returns on the back wall and 1 return on the floor on each side of the tank. (total of 4) I was going to run a y on each return.

You should have enough returns to cover the flow of the Barracuda pump. Now you just have to mess around with the configuration until you get what you want. I am working on setting my 125 back up and plan on 5 returns for a ReeFlo Dart. That amount of returns can easily handle a barracuda...maybe i'll be upgrading in the future.

Good luck on your set-up. Just make sure everything you do is to your liking. Anything you don't like will grow on your over time.

is this same set up was on a 300 8 ft tank would a hammerhead be too much

Check out Melevsreef.com for some closed loop samples. He used to have a couple of nice designs.

Last edited:
alright so i wrote my last post way past my bed time and i meant to ask if you where to run the returns in the same spot as akunochi on a 300g 8 ft tank would a hammer head pump to much? for the 4 3/4 outlets

For a hammerhead I think I would use at least 6. Especially since your tank is 2 feet longer than mine.

no the hammer head will not be too much.
Thats only what? 5800 GPh
for 300 gallon thats less than 20x turn over

Back