Closed loop....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fusch13

Hi all!

Im looking to do a closed loop in my 92 corner tank. I am debating which pump to get but here is the plan,

from the pump i will run whichever pvc the return is....i would then increase pvc to 1 1/2" to get max flow....i then would take this up 3'...there would be two 90's within this run.

From the top 90 i would then reduce the pipe down to 1"....then i would come to a tee.....then i would reduce even further to 3/4", then two 90's, finally going through two 3/4" sea swirls...

How's this sound? First crack at this so be nice....Give me critques and ideas...Also pump ideas.

The 3/4 sea swirl takes a max gph rating of 850...so ill have two on this pump....

Thanks,
Ryan

If the return on the pump is 1.5" I would keep that until the tee. Then I would knock it down to 2 1" lines with the tee. A 1.5 x 1 x 1 tee. Then take the 2 1" lines to the seaswirls and knock it down to the 3/4 at the seaswirl... my $.02

I agree with Ken on the pipe size, Each outlet of the closed loop should push a minimum of 400 GPH, So for a 4 outlet have around 1600 GPH pump at least. Going to 2000 GPH would more appropiate with certain restrictions from 90's and Tees. But Ken has the right idea on Pipe sizing.

yeah keeping 1 1/2" pipe to the tees makes sense..thanks guys...now i just need to find a pump to push that much flow!

i just finished building my closed loop...i used 1 1/2" pvc for my intake..i brought that down to 3/4 at the pump..my outflow started with 3/4" and i used 1 1/4" all the way until right in the tank..it goes to 1" or 3/4"..they are interchangable.. here are some pics....i will put some more complete ones on here after i paint it some tomorrow.

i actually made most of it and then had to work out some problems that i didn't think of...these are pics before it was finished..i have changed it some since then...hope these helped:) i will post more later

Pump size would depend on the amount of flow you wish. If your going a Calfo style then like I mentioned above a 400 GPH per outlet is needed. you can use A Reeflo series or Panworld. Panworld are pressure rated and would help out alot. Plus they are relatively cheap for what your looking for.

Back