%$^#&# Clove Polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NWDiver

Swimming with the fishes
Soooo, I have a bad case of clove polyps. Very short peach-fuzz looking stuff.
I have no idea how they were introduced, but I really want them to go away.
What the heck should I do?
They have spread pretty far in the tank, and they are on rocks with well established coral, so I hate the idea of removing all the rock and nuking it.
Help?

They don't look like this do they?

HydroidsAsm.jpg

Blue/purple clove polyps?
I have a couple frags with them....I took the frags out and cover it with glue. But that's not going to work for you. I helped a friend nuked them with kalkwasser then siphon them out. It helped but he lost some corals along the way, keep having to do it often.

Its my understanding that they need light, so I have been trying to cover a portion of them with a shell for a while to see if they die. But yeah! Any one wants any, I can get you a good size frag. If I can make it to the meeting this weekend, I will bring you some.

I would love some. If you could that would be great. Can you try to get me a pice that has that Setosa on it as well. Just kidding.

I dont have any setosa. For some reason I cant keep it. Or couldnt anyway when I tried. I tried it a year or so ago, so maybe it would live now, but I dont want to pay for some and kill it again... HAHA...

Its my understanding that they need light, so I have been trying to cover a portion of them with a shell for a while to see if they die.

How has the covering it with a shell worked for you so far? We haven't tried anything yet and may just wait until we move into the new tank to deal with it. Our tank is difficult to get to all the places with kalk paste and we don't want to kill anything else with it.

Once we make the move we will have plenty for all who wants it. (not the Setosa :))

How has the covering it with a shell worked for you so far?

You know I haven't checked it lately. I do know that it does not grow under my larger palys. I also know the kawkwasser works. I killed off about a two square inch section of it a month ago and that area has not grown back. Yet!

Wow... at 2 square inches at a time we would be at it for weeks, if not months as you can see here...

aDSC_0172_10924.jpg

You and me both. My tank looks just about like that. Kind of pretty.....but!
I am just afraid that using too much kalkwasser at one time would throw off the calc and alk in the tank.
And if I can make it up to the get together, I will bring some of it and I also have some purple rim/green poly monti if anyone wants some. Maybe we can turn the meeting into a frag swap at this rate.

I'm plagued with them also. They grow everywhere even on zoas. I'm going to try and contol them with kalk paste. Let me know how the shell works, that sounds like a good idea.

i have that as well and my old tank have it everywhere!the funny thing is its my fault that i have it,,,i actually bought a frag when i started reefing...u guys are lucky to have it as a hitchhiker or free..mine i paid :bang head on the wall:

yes they look like those.....they stay really short but have spread fast....i dont think there is much you can do.....try floyds xenia killer on it...thats about it
Do they look like this Todd? (not the Setosa)

aDSC_0188_10940.jpg

Ultraviolet Radiotron 3000, blasts a negative ION focused beam and desimates the tissue of any unsuspecting victim. Reall I am not sure how my UV eradicated my Xenia infestation but it nuked them.

Yep, that's them. I didn't really expect anyone had an answer, but it never hurts to ask.
I don't have quite as much as you Erik, but at the rate they are growing, they will be there by the end of the week :-(
I don't think that either of you really want any, but I will see if I can get some off a rock.
I might send a rock with them when you nuke the clam to see if the UV toasts them as well.
Grrrrrrrrrrr

I have killed it with kalkwasser and I checked the area that I have covered and they are gone. I move a shell to another spot. We'll see how long it takes.
Anyway, if anyone does want some, I cut a couple pieces of the rock off with it. I can bring it with me on saturday. PM me if you want any.

Thanks for the info Lorrie! That would take a ton of Kalk to kill what I have going. Still, better to start now I guess.

Back