clown fish and anemone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

itsme

i have two true prec. and i want to get them an anemone but not sure what kind
it will be a while because my tank is new and i dont have proper lighting yet but i want to do some
i lke the sabae anemones but i am new and dont know much about the
o yea i have limited budjet so cheaper is better:cry:

I would be patient and hold off for a bit. Lighting and stability are both important to keep aneomones healthy. That beins said, rose bubble tips are not a natural host, but sometimes you do get lucky. The RBTAs are also the heartiest of the aneomones and are also very good looking. I would suggest one of those, once your tank is past its "new" stage as you put it. I have seen RBTAS kept under PCs with great sucess, but halides are fool proof. Remember that they use light to eat there food.

its a 65g tank
my lights are being shipped today they have one 250w halide and 4 96w pc

You will have enough lighting for a Sebae, but they are not as hardy as the BTA. I would wait at least 6 months to a year before adding an anemone. BTA's are a little more forgiving than the other hosting anemones. Do a lot of research before you purchase.

BTAs may be more expensive...and RBTAs even more expensive. However, as has been mentioned, they're the easiest to care for. Sebaes are not very hardy in our tanks and neither are LTAs. IMO, you'll find yourself happier purchasing an anemone that has a better chance of survival. If you were to go with anything other than a Bubble Tip, I think I'd suggest one of the LTA species. NaH2O posted 2 great links that would be worth studying. There's also a lot of great Anemone information available at www.wetwebmedia.com

I think price depends a lot on the area. The one in my avitar can be found for $25 - $35 from a local hobbyist here.

i was thinking would they host a frogsawn or a torch coral

I tried that route....and have no success. The frogspawn is right where the clown hangs out all day long and all night long and still no success. I recently aquired a RBTA for $50 from a local fish store but I think its to small for the clown to notice right now. If it ever does.

This is as close as close can get for the clown and RBTA for the time being.
IMG_0856_Vga.JPG

Close up of the RBTA (thing eats like a hog)
IMG_0858_Vga.JPG

Good luck

I have a purple sebae anenome and a clown fish, and the clown fish has chosen to nest in several colonies of hammer coral. And the corals don't seem to mind the clown at all!

Back