Clown ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Does anyone keep more than one type of clown fish in their tank. I have one Ocellaris in my 75 and I wanted a Maroon stripe or another Ocellaris. can two different species be kept?

I will tell right now try to put species who are not aggresive.Maroon are very aggressive and will beat up your ocellaris if they are in anenome the maroon will kick them out not a good choice to put with ocellaris.

I agree with Soft Reefer, although I recently saw a very large female Maroon sharing an anemone with a tiny Skunk Clown and getting along just fine. For the most part though, your idea just isn't going to work...especially with a Maroon in the picture. They're lil' terrors when it comes to mixing clowns.

I will tell right now try to put species who are not aggresive.Maroon are very aggressive and will beat up your ocellaris if they are in anenome the maroon will kick them out not a good choice to put with ocellaris.

Well here is my situation, I have an Ocellaris hosting in a Green bta,and I have a Rose bta on the way. If I get another smaller Ocellaris mines about 3"
They "should" be ok... I know that both bta's may not be host but there is a chance I have a home for the Gbta if things go bad...

Please make things a lot easier for yourself :) Add another smaller Ocellaris clownfish.

Best,
Ilham

I totally agree with Elmo, but I have a pair of ocellaris with a pair of tomato clowns and they get along ok, but they have divided the tank in two.

I have a true perc and a saddleback in one of my tanks and they get along great.

I was thinking another Ocellaris and two Tomato clowns. Does anyone see a potential problem? As for my Gbta,I still dont thinks its a bubble tip at all,It has been in the tank for a year and I have never seen any bubbles???

BTA's don't always expand to bubbles. At times my RBTA has long, thin tentacles and at other times, the tentacles inflate to quite large bubbles. I think it's a sign of how happy or comfortable is happens to be at the time. Maybe it's your paramaters...or maybe you're right and it's not a BTA...lol. Any chance of pics? I personally don't know a lot about clowns, even though I have a few. I really don't know Tomato Clowns much at all. I would think that if you had more than one anemone or a frogspawn or bubble coral, and they were at different ends of a 75, that you'd be alright. But as I said, I really don't know what I'm talking about...lol. Good luck. I'd definately wait for Elmo to chime in again and heed his advice.

BTA's don't always expand to bubbles. At times my RBTA has long, thin tentacles and at other times, the tentacles inflate to quite large bubbles. I think it's a sign of how happy or comfortable is happens to be at the time. Maybe it's your paramaters...or maybe you're right and it's not a BTA...lol. Any chance of pics? I personally don't know a lot about clowns, even though I have a few. I really don't know Tomato Clowns much at all. I would think that if you had more than one anemone or a frogspawn or bubble coral, and they were at different ends of a 75, that you'd be alright. But as I said, I really don't know what I'm talking about...lol. Good luck. I'd definately wait for Elmo to chime in again and heed his advice.

edit: also I have not seen its mouth in over 6 months...

Heres a pic of this GBTA that has Never shown its bubbles.

Last edited:
I've kept a mix of them before, in one tank I had a true perc, a clarkii, and a cinnimon clown, they all seemed to get along fine once they ironed out their territory. I've found that Maroons and Ocellaris tend to be among the more agressive clowns, particularly maroons...they are in my experience every bit as agressive as most damsels. A smaller Ocellaris like Elmo said would be probably the best choice. I have seen Ocellaris bully a smaller, weaker one to death in my tanks on more than one occasion, so watch for agression no matter what....

MikeS

he looks pretty healthy ed. has he shrank or is he growing? it sounds like he is eating well. I also had a green that never bubbled.

He's growing well,he was about two or three inches when I bought him and now its almost six inches across. Im not worried about it growing,im just wondering why if it is a bubble why have I not seen them???

I've had a few different species before and it was like a war zone whenever I added a new one, but anyways...Happy birthday man:D

Back