Clownfish and Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ellylove

I have a pair of false percs that I just bought a small (gorgeous) long tentacled nem for. I know the long tentacled isn't their anemone, but has anyone gotten a pair of ocs to host in one? Is it worth a shot trying to get them to, or am I wasting my time and money? The nem's "long" tentacles are only about 1.5-2" and I've seen rbtas with way longer tentacles. It's white with a pale blue hue and it has a bright reddish pink base. I know they are sometimes called sand anemones, but this one wants to stay on the rocks. Any idea how to encourage them to host in it? And does anyone know just how big long tentacled nems get?

LTAs are commonly used for a wide variety of Clown fish. That's no guarantee that any clown fish will host in it. However, I think your chances are fairly good. The LTA may be attaching to rock because it doesn't get enough light lower.

As for encouraging them to host in it, just let them adjust to it, over the next week or so, and see what happens. If, after a few weeks, they still haven't got the idea, there's some tricks you can try.

LTAs can easily reach 2' in diameter.

I'd thought that you were in the beginning stages of setting up a tank. Please keep in mind that a tank should be given plenty of time to "mature," before any anemone is introduced. A common "rule of thumb" is 6-12 months.

Does it look something like this one:

Blue_LTA2-2_02-28-2007.jpg

If so, yours is bleached...and will need some TLC before it becomes healthy...

It honestly sounds like its bleached out and stressed by your description. I've only seen one healthy white photosynthetic anemone, and it was an enormous H.magnifica anemone that had been in captivity for over 10 years. Anemones will shrink in size when starving for nutrients....basically surviving by devouring its own tissues...

If its still sticky, you can nurse it back to health. It will most likely darken up. The one in the picture above turned a boring brown with green high lights. The gorgeous blue seen in the picture above was not visible after the anemone regained its zooxanthellae. It took close to 6 months for that to happen, and I fed it 3-4 times weekly.

The largest Long Tentacled Anemone, (LTA for short, Macrodactlya doreensis specificly) I've ever seen was only about 12-14 inches in diameter. However, MojoReef, (admin here) told me about a friends M.doreensis anemone that was fed 1-2 whole cocktail shrimp a week that grew so big that it took over half a 90 gallon tank...approx 24 inches in diameter. What I've noticed with my anemone's is that the more frequently I feed them, the larger they grow. If I want to restrict growth, I cut back on the feedings...

Ocellaris clowns will sometimes be hosted by M.doreensis anemones, but it is not their natural host...some people have luck with it, others dont. Give it time, try to get the anemone healthy first, and go from there.

Nick

I've got a rose bud amemone (like everyone else) thats awesome. He is just chillin in my sump looking for a new home. He likes to wonder and was hanging a little to near some sps colonies. My black clowns miss him, as they hosted him most nights..... let me know if your interested.

oh and this guy can live though nearly anything (I pretty much ripped him in half about six months ago) Also, as for hosting.... just give it time.

Last edited:
I initially had troubles with my clownfish pair (false percs) trying to host in feather duster worms and whatnot. Print out a large color pic off the internet of the same type of clownfish that you have nestled inside an anemone like the one you have. Tape it to the side of the aquarium closest to the anemone, and feed the fish in that same area. Took about a week of doing that for my clown pair's instincts to finally kick in. After that process took hold, I later added a large sebae anemone and they took to it immediately and now split their time between the two.

Our spawning pair of percs have two rosebubbles to choose from...And they choose to spawn and host the overflow....They have layed eggs several times and always stay near the overflow...:eek:

But they seem happy:shock:

The nem isn't in my tank yet. My tank is pretty new, but I'm adding the fish at the end of the week. I'm prepared to wait a bit longer before adding the anemone. The anemone looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic. There was a brown one and that one in the tank and I bought that one because it was so pretty. Poo. I'm sure I can return him. I'm interested in any really pretty nem that will host my false percs and hot get HUGE. I don't like the bubbles on the tips of the rbtas, but I know some don't have them. If you have one that is a really pretty rose color, I'll take it, but I'd rather not drive an hour to get it.

The nem isn't in my tank yet. My tank is pretty new, but I'm adding the fish at the end of the week. I'm prepared to wait a bit longer before adding the anemone. The anemone looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic. There was a brown one and that one in the tank and I bought that one because it was so pretty. Poo. I'm sure I can return him. I'm interested in any really pretty nem that will host my false percs and hot get HUGE. I don't like the bubbles on the tips of the rbtas, but I know some don't have them. If you have one that is a really pretty rose color, I'll take it, but I'd rather not drive an hour to get it.

Where are you getting your livestock? You don't want to drive an hour north to get stock huh? I grew up in Unversity Place(go Viks!) and every quality store is about an hour from there.

I had mine and it took them almost 8 months until they wanted to go to it. Sometimes they will and sometimes they wont. Just give them time and see what happens. Here is a picture of my LTA with my pink skunks.
007-5.jpg

My GBTA with my O percs
037.jpg

And my green carpet nem.
Oct8001.jpg

Where are you getting your livestock? You don't want to drive an hour north to get stock huh? I grew up in Unversity Place(go Viks!) and every quality store is about an hour from there.

Indoor Reef on 6th Ave in Tacoma is 12 min from Curtis and they are holding my fish for me. : ) Have you really never been there? Paul is a really nice guy with great prices and WONDERFUL info. I swear I'm in there everyday. Exotic Aquaria in Lacy/Olympia has some nice stuff too (but they are about 25-30 min away so I haven't been there since before my bf deployed. I'd drive to ft. Lewis and it was a short trip to Lacy : D) There is also Aquarium Paradise on the end of Bridgeport next to the freeway on ramp. They have some AWESOME stuff (like a shark tank and a HUGE cube coral tank) but there prices aren't quite as good as Paul's.

Go Viks!

Also, apparently my nem is a sebae and really is that color. It was wild caught and shipped direct form LA so there shouldn't have been a chance for it to get bleached. I was told that if it does loose that color and turn brown that he will take it back no problem. Paul is the best!

If it is a sebae, and it's not a purple-ish dark brown color with bright purple tips then it's bleached. I bought a sebae anemone (knowing it was badly bleached, was under power compact lighting...) and gradually over the course of 3 months of 3x per week feedings under halide lights it got it's normal coloration back and has since grown to 4x it's original size. It's a sort of grey / purple / brown color with bright fluorescent purple on the tips of it's tentacles. Most of the white / ivory colored with purple tips "sebae" anemones are badly bleached almost to the point of death.

Also, apparently my nem is a sebae and really is that color. It was wild caught and shipped direct form LA so there shouldn't have been a chance for it to get bleached. I was told that if it does loose that color and turn brown that he will take it back no problem. Paul is the best!

Actually I am very familiar with both Indoor Reef and Aquarium Paradise. The only issue is, while Paul is a great guy and I am actually a fairly good friend of his, the prices are quite a bit higher at Indoor Reef and Aquarium Paradise than places such as Barrier Reef and even A Red Sea(granted ARSA is WAY up North from us). I live right down the street from Indoor Reef and I used to frequent them often, I just compare the prices on things there and some items are 125% to 175% marked up from stores like Barrier. Frankly...the quality of items could be better too. Aquarium Paradise is large...and that is working for them. I go in there and constantly see them cleaning their tanks and running around doing things, along with being genuinely excited about the hobby. Prices are HIGH there though. I love the 500gal cube they have for a frag tank and you can score some pretty huge deals with their 1 for $25 or 2 for $40 deals on their frags. I have some huge zoa and acro frags from that deal which normally would have cost me a fortune. But, their tanks and dry goods cost a FORTUNE! I go to AP more than Indoor simply because they have more coral...but I would GLADLY drive 45mins North to go to Barrier than go to Tacoma stores who have almost no SPS and VERY scarce dry goods. I can get all dry goods remarkably cheaper and have a much larger selection of livestock and coral all in one place at Barrier.

Flip side...I am super glad to hear you are frequenting local stores and I hope to see you there one day!

Paul is actually setting up two HUGE frag tanks so hopefully there will be more coral at Indoor soon. His prices are really good for fish and inverts though. Especially if you get a VIP card and a PSAS membership. You get 10% off all the time with a PSAS card.

Paul is actually setting up two HUGE frag tanks so hopefully there will be more coral at Indoor soon. His prices are really good for fish and inverts though. Especially if you get a VIP card and a PSAS membership. You get 10% off all the time with a PSAS card.

Wow that's good to hear! I have been suggesting that to him for a while(not that it was my idea by any means). He has the space for it and definitely has the knowledge.

Back