Clownfish disease diagnosis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaNo Reef

Hi Steve et all,

I recently purchased two A. ocellaris who are currently in QT. One fish is eating and looks very healthy. The second one, and the purpose of my post, is as follows:

(1) White stringy feces noticed the second day in QT
(2) A white fuzzy patch on the anterior porition of the dorsal fin noticed on day 3 and it has grown slightly in 24 hrs (grain of salt size)
(3) rapid breathing rate - noticed from day 2 onwards
(4) Fish has not eaten in 4 days

All water parameters are within acceptable ranges. The LFS did not know for sure if these were wc or tr specimens (go figure).

Any ideas on a diagnosis? How to treat internal parasites when the fish is not eating?

Thanks for the advice.

C

The stringy feces could be an internal protozoan, worm or bacterial infection. Distinguishing which one can often be very difficult. Treatment is actually easy most times. It can be administered directly into the water but works best when ingested.

A dose of Metronidazole and Praziquantel will take care of the more common causes of internal parasite/worm ailments. If bacterial I would suggest either Gentamycin or Kanamycin sulphate. Maracyn II will do in a pinch but the other two are much stronger antibiotics and work much better.

Now figuring out which will mean examining the feces or at the very least a good visual accounting of color, texture, solidity and so on. Is it fluid or solid, a long thin string or thick, pale or dark, are segements visilble ect. How's the belly appearance of the fish? Bloating, thinning, buldging etc.

When it comes to any clown I always recommend at the very least a round of Formalin dips and deworming via Praziquantel. Brooklynella and internal worms are usually the more common problems with clowns.

So symptoms are loss of appetite, rapid breathing and a patch of something?

Any sign of a milky substance on or around the fish, hovering in one spot or hiding, color fading/loss, scales on end, mouth hanging open constantly, eye clear or cloudy?

At the very least I would go ahead with the Formalin dips without delay.

Clownfish diagnosis

Thanks for the info Steve.

To answer your questions. The stringy white feces lasted only 24 hrs and then was gone and I did not have a chance to inspect it. None noticed since then. At the time it was blochy (possibly segments) and was 1.5 - 2" long. The belly is currently very sunken.

No sign of any milky substance on or around him/her, although he is hovering in one general location and not as active as the other fish. The colour looks normal, scales are not projecting, eyes are clear but the mouth is constantly open. As I metioned previously the other fish is still doing great.

As far as a formalin dip is concerned I have on hand a combo product of formalin and malachite green (AP pro Quick Cure) - will this suffice?

Do this new info help you determine a posible cause (internal protozoan, worm or bacterial infection)?

Thanks again,

Craig

Thanks for the info Steve.

To answer your questions. The stringy white feces lasted only 24 hrs and then was gone and I did not have a chance to inspect it. None noticed since then. At the time it was blochy (possibly segments) and was 1.5 - 2" long. The belly is currently very sunken.
Pretty sure this is a worm but I would still treat for both worm and parasite as mentioned above.

No sign of any milky substance on or around him/her, although he is hovering in one general location and not as active as the other fish. The colour looks normal, scales are not projecting, eyes are clear but the mouth is constantly open. As I metioned previously the other fish is still doing great.
I would still suspect Brooklynella for the most part. Ensure both clowns undergo exactly the same treatment for worms and parasites as well as the formalin.

As far as a formalin dip is concerned I have on hand a combo product of formalin and malachite green (AP pro Quick Cure) - will this suffice?
Formalin is a diluted form of Formaldehyde, there's no reason the Quick Cure shouldn't work work but use less than you would if just Formalin. Formalin is used at a rate of 20 drops per gallon. With the Quick Cure, use 7 drops per gallon.

Back