Clownfish eggs - now what????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mafrank101

I have a pair of clownfish that decided to get busy. They laid one batch of eggs which I was unprepared for, and it was a 100% casualty rate - only one hatched and lived for a couple of days :cry:

After a few weeks of beating up on the third clownfish in the tank (territorial before spawning, evidently), they got busy again and yesterday I found another batch of eggs.

I think I can now get most of the eggs away from the parents in a week or two, and then put them in some sort of setup on their own, but my big question is what to feed the darned things? I went to our local petshop and got some frozen rotifers, but evidently the last little guy didn't like them. What I've read online says to grow your own live rotifers, but I don't think I have time to do that at this point (or the equipment).

Has anybody had success raising clownfish fry??? If so, I'd love to have some advice so I don't lose another batch.

Thanks

well you can leave the eggs in the tank until they hatch. you will see they're ready when the eggs turn kind of silver and you see their eyes (usually hatch between 9 and 15 days) right before they hatch turn off all the filters and powerheads so the water is dead, you can then shine a flashlight in the corner of the tank and all the fry will come up and you can net or siphon them out. put them into a fry tank with an airstone and keep it full of rotifers...there are other ways to do it but this is probably the simplest

elmo18 is a local expert,
however if you're not really willing to make a rotifers for them i don't think they have a much of a chance, as for equipment for rotifers i don't think that there's much really, i think many people grow them in 2 liter soda bottles kinda like the brine shrmp hatcheries, as for electrical stuff all i think you need is a an air pump,
then you have to feed the rotifers which is a similar set up with phytoplankton i believe, though for short term you might (unsure) be able to buy food for the rots, though i'd be cautious
A great book with tons of useful info
http://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-J...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212748314&sr=8-1

hope this helps

I have raised a few fry (few thousand). The book clownfishies by Joyce wilkerson will help A LOT. As for rotifers, as I said in the thread below, its actually very simple.

Here is your thread
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36339

After you get a few to hatch, and the rotifers are going strong, post back with any specific questions and I am sure that they will be answered.

Raising the fry can be very entertaining and rewarding. Good luck!

Back