Clownfish pairing up?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CT12

I picked up two ocellaris clownfish at the BRA sale a few weeks back. They are fairly similar in size but one is slightly larger than the other. They have been getting along great but I noticed yesterday that the larger fish has started "picking on" the smaller fish. The smaller fish doesn't fight back much and turns sideways in front of the larger fish. So my question is how can you tell if clownfish are pairing up or just not getting along?

Thanks,

Chris

Two Anemonefish generally go through picking on each to force a gender differentiation. It is best to choose fish that are least one inch different in size to make this process as less painful as possible.

I'd say your witnessing the one fish trying to force the other fish into the male gender, holding on the female gender itself. The female is the aggressor in maintaining and creating the gender.

Two Anemonefish generally go through picking on each to force a gender differentiation. It is best to choose fish that are least one inch different in size to make this process as less painful as possible.

I'd say your witnessing the one fish trying to force the other fish into the male gender, holding on the female gender itself. The female is the aggressor in maintaining and creating the gender.

Thanks, Lee. That's kind of what I was thinking. I've been doing some more reading on the subject. It was pretty intense for a short period yesterday so I was just looking for some reassurance. They locked mouths once or twice but mostly the smaller fish turns sideways and submits. Quite an interesting process to observe.

Keep an eye on their fins to make sure they aren't destroying eachother

They've settled down pretty well actually. The slightly smaller clown did hold his fin to his body for part of a day when the nipping first got vigorous but I think that they have sorted it out. There isn't much nipping anymore and the size differential is becoming more pronounced. The smaller clown is quick to turn sideways and start twitching when approached by the larger clown.

Back