Clowns wont host Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1229goad

New Reefer
I cant figure out why my clowns wont host my Anemone, it is a Macrodactyla doreensis, About 6-8in across. I dont know where the clowns came from there were with the tank when i got it. The host the powerhead. any ideas?

Is the anemone attached? If its easy to move , catch the fish and place the anemone and them in a bag together leave be for a while .

or try to force them in to the anemone with a net to trap them inside.

Keep trying it will happen .

good luck ,
ROB

Is the anemone attached? If its easy to move , catch the fish and place the anemone and them in a bag together leave be for a while .

or try to force them in to the anemone with a net to trap them inside.

Keep trying it will happen .

good luck ,
ROB

ill try and put them down there. he is attached, and big i dont have a bag to put him in.

Clown/Anemone relationships are hit and miss. Sometimes it takes a long time for established Clowns to warm up to an introduced anemone. Other times, they go right to it, immediately. Still other times, they never do. I don't know that I'd ever try to force the issue. It could result in stressed out clowns and anemone, could result in the anemone moving or releasing it's hold. It could even result in the anemone eating the clowns.

Clown/Anemone relationships are hit and miss. Sometimes it takes a long time for established Clowns to warm up to an introduced anemone. Other times, they go right to it, immediately. Still other times, they never do. I don't know that I'd ever try to force the issue. It could result in stressed out clowns and anemone, could result in the anemone moving or releasing it's hold. It could even result in the anemone eating the clowns.

ok well ive read that different types of clowns only like certian types of anemone's and the anemone i have is use by Clarkii's so ill try and get some of them, its been over a month and they dont even go near it.

What type of clowns do you have, that would help, my Clarkii's go nuts with my anemone, and ocellaris won't go in hit or miss for them.

It was 3 month before my clowns would go near my GBTA, since then they never leave it. Let nature do it's thing.

I've never had any luck with clowns hosting an anemone. I had a few species of clowns a while back and they never went near my anemone. As suggested, it "hit or miss". Hopefully they eventually host the anemone for you :)

i AGREE I HAD A GREEN CARPET THEY WOULD ONLY BRUSH THROU IT AND GO TO THERE CAVE ...SO IT WILL BE HIT MISS DONT EVER FORCE THEM ..B A D I D E A !

ok well ill let them be, thanks everyone

I have a clarkii that will host any anemone in the tank... He has been banished to the prop tank with a rose and within 3 seconds was in the rose anemone. Why was he banhished you ask? He was attacking my 3 year old mandarin and I like him more than the Clarkii clown.... :)

If your interest in having A clarkii pm me...

I would also recommend waiting. If you were to add another species of clown in with your Occellaris, it'd be asking for disaster. Your particular anemone is naturally hosted by Clarkii and Skunk Clowns. However, Occellaris are usually not very finicky. Mine have gone straight to my RBTA, but I've also seen them host other anemones, including Condylactis, which I'd never recommend as they aren't even a hosting anemone to any clown.

Give it some time, see what happens. If you're bound and determined to have a Clown/Anemone relationship in your tank and it doesn't eventually happen, with your tank mates, you'll need to decide if you want to change anemone or change clowns. Do some research before deciding.

When I first started out I wanted a clown to host in anemone. We started with a false perc. It wouldn't host to save its life. About 5 months later we got an opportunity to purchase 2 picasso clowns which were fairly young. Within a week they were both hosting the RBTA that the false perc wouldn't even look at. About a week later the false perc figured out what the RBTA was all about and eventually forced the smallest false picasso out and took up hosting. Since then I've kept the picassos together with the RBTA which is the size of a dinner plate and moved the false perc to my 80 gal tank which has a GBTA. It took right to hosting in it along with a Onyx clown. So in the end of a matched pair of picassos in a RBTA in my 30 gal tank and a mis-matched pair in the 80 gal tank hosting in the GBTA. No fighting either. Good luck and hope some of this info is useful.

Back