CNC for acrylic projects

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This is awesome! I'd always just assumed that CNC was WAY out of my league in terms of DIY, but it looks pretty doable... Don, thanks so much for first of all doing this, and then documenting it so we can see how it works. I have absolutely no useful CAD skills, but really like the idea of a .dxf library. I can't imagine how people did anything useful before the internet!

Josh

Well I'm getting impatient waiting on parts and ebay auctions so decided to just cut out some more part.
The 3/4 acrylic pieces are the Y plate X attaching plate and the tool plate.
The funny shaped piece is actually two pieces and is both sides of the gantry.
The last piece is the gantry support. The plan calls for just a single piece of 3/4 mdf glued. I didnt like that Idea so used two and made center grooves that I'll put all thread in. Its pictured in the bag. I like the bag better than clamps. The pieces cant slip and the pressure is even and of course there is no air pockets in the glue.

They read books Josh :)

:confused:

Just kidding! :idea: I am almost done building my new house with no construction background. I did darn near everything except hang the drywall and pour the slab. I did all of the foundation work, electrical, water, gas, sewer, framing, siding, roofing etc., and all of it I learned from books. The problem with books is that you generally get one or two peoples' opinions. With the internet you get more vetting and exchanges of information. I really like the combo of both though. I can't have discussions with people when I'm reading a book. Neither are the same as having a live person walk me through a new technique. So, it's all just info. I can imagine Don, 20 years ago sitting with a pot of coffee and reading a stack of technical manuals. But, for the life of me I can't imagine what Krish would have done without it! :eek:

Josh

Hoping to spend some time on the z and x axis this weekend, I did a little research and found local much cheaper sources.

Metal Supermarket has the 5/8 ground and polished shaft 60" for $30
McGuire bearing in Tacoma has the bronze oilite bearings used per the plan for 1$ ea. Thats $38 bucks which is less than the shipping alone from Mcmaster. Rockler in southcenter has the 3/4 ball router bit, this isnt a homedepot type bit so they are a little tough to find.
At this rate I should be done in about two more weeks. Only about 3 weeks longer than I was hoping for.:)

Don

Brian,

Does $250 sound high for a 2'x4' chunk of 3/4 clear acrylic?

Don

Sort of.... that's high for my pricing but I get good prices due to volume purchases. But it is in line with a good deal for going to Laird, Calsak, TAP or one of the many other locals. (heck even Keltech.... but if you got a 1/2 sheet out of Bob for that price then yes, you did well :lol: )

If you need anymore material in the future, just pm me and I'll see if I can hook you up. ....especially if you are going to design and or build that acrylic oven for me as the next project.... wink wink, nudge nudge... :p

I picked up this little ridged trim router for the cnc. Its body is round so it will be very easy to mount and it has built in variable speed so no need to buy another speed control.

Don; will the software be able to control the variable speed trimmer? If so, are you just opening up the case and splicing into the terminals for the speed control? Or, will you just adjust the speed control manually before starting a run?

Josh

Don; will the software be able to control the variable speed trimmer? If so, are you just opening up the case and splicing into the terminals for the speed control? Or, will you just adjust the speed control manually before starting a run?

Josh

No you have to control it manually. You can get variable speed spindles that can be software controlled but even most commercial router mills dont use them. I found a good deal on one last week only 2 grand.:)
I like the shape of the ridged. Its got a smoothe body so will be easy to mount. I'll build holder later today after my saturday nap.

Don

Don

This is the tool mount. I'll drill and install set screws after the weldon sets up for awhile. There will be stainless set screws and jam nuts along with the weldon holding the joints together.

Don

This is the x z plate with bronze bearings. I just put it together with weldon and need to drill tap and pin each bearing and bearing block. Probably as far as I'll get this week end. I had to take a break and superglue my finger tip back together. I guess thats what happens when you dont use push blocks.

Don

Last edited:
Back