CNC for acrylic projects

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You still looking for a PC?? and when will mine be ready??? :)

Mike

I just need a flat lcd monitor. The pc part is done and part of the controller.

In the picture. The big board in the middle is the pc. The little board to the left is the stepper drives. HDD is to the right. PC supply is top right. CNC supply is the chrome one with all the holes. The whole mess just gets hung on the wall. I also added a wireless network card, may add a web cam if I can find a elcheapo.:)

Don

You still looking for a PC?? and when will mine be ready??? :)

Mike

Mike, yours will be available as soon as you get off your big behind and make yourself one.

Haha, just kiddin' mike, how you doing old friend? long time no talky talky.

Mike, yours will be available as soon as you get off your big behind and make yourself one.

Haha, just kiddin' mike, how you doing old friend? long time no talky talky.

Hey we need to convert your little metal lathe. Have you concidered it?

Don

I have considered it. I need to learn to use some cad and get good at it before I am willing to shell out any money on this stuff. It would be pretty cool to get the lathe converted over.

Have you gotten your machine running yet? We are waiting patiently. I have a product that I want to market once I have a machine, it needs to be a little bigger tho.

I get this from the link:

This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.

Sweet Don, I would of figured it would take longer to make but you did it rather quickly for such a nice CNC.

Don,
Just checked out the video, and very nice job! I have a question regarding the speed?! Can you speed up the movement? Or is that "top speed" It seemed to me to be moving pretty slow. (I think the picture showing the screen shot says 100% on the speed.. but I could be wrong)...

As far as running and heat are concerned, have you had the chance to run it for any good length of time (over 10 minutes) to see if the componants are over heating or get hot enough to be a problem?

The power bar across the front is to turn power on and off to what precisely? I dont imagine your using all the outlets.. are you?

And lastly... how far out are you from actually "cuttin'" something?

Again, looks awsome, looking foward to the finished product!

Don,
Just checked out the video, and very nice job! I have a question regarding the speed?! Can you speed up the movement? Or is that "top speed" It seemed to me to be moving pretty slow. (I think the picture showing the screen shot says 100% on the speed.. but I could be wrong)...

As far as running and heat are concerned, have you had the chance to run it for any good length of time (over 10 minutes) to see if the componants are over heating or get hot enough to be a problem?

The power bar across the front is to turn power on and off to what precisely? I dont imagine your using all the outlets.. are you?

And lastly... how far out are you from actually "cuttin'" something?

Again, looks awsome, looking foward to the finished product!

The motors havent been tuned or calibrated yet. They run, I'd guess about 20 times that faster wide open. The "power bar" Is for the router, monitor, pc and driver shut down relay. I had it and it just happened to fit, so it really wasnt part of the plan. Just more more junk box stuff being put to use.
I'm not concerned with heat of the pc but I am going to put a fan pointed right at the heatsinks on the driver board. It came with a nice little 24v fan and there is a output on the board for it. Just havent got around to putting it on. I'll probably be lazy and not build a box over the controller, so heat is a mute point. That is the one spot in my shop that the thing could go. I either need to get a bigger shop or get rid of some tools. but doubt I'll ever get rid of any tools. Most of the time these are just housed in a little project box with the little fan.
I forget the actual cutting specs but IIRC it somthing like 12x18x4. I doubt I'll ever cut anything 4" deep probably the bigest would be 10x10x.75.
After doing this one I may just use it to build a fancy one and just take my time and use all high end stuff and reuse the electronics.
I'll do a little on the Y axis tonight if I dont have grandson detail.:)

Don

dust collection

Hey Don, looking great! I'm highly motivated to build one of these (after I finish the house, build the garage, build the shop, etc.) I noticed that your controller is mounted up by what looks like a dust collection duct. This made me think; how are you hooking this thing up to dust collection? Or is dust collection AKA "Don with broom"? Good luck with the final steps and the actual cutting process!

Josh

Hey Don, looking great! I'm highly motivated to build one of these (after I finish the house, build the garage, build the shop, etc.) I noticed that your controller is mounted up by what looks like a dust collection duct. This made me think; how are you hooking this thing up to dust collection? Or is dust collection AKA "Don with broom"? Good luck with the final steps and the actual cutting process!

Josh

Eventually I'll use lock line for the dust collection. I need to make a bracket on the z axis to hold some big lockline and a nozzel. That will get connected to the central dust collection system.
I do own a broom but I only use it when the shavings from the lathes get more than 3" deep over the whole floor.:)

Don

Here is a start I guess about 2/3 of a 3d model of a twist lock flange. This is about 35 different images combined to make one. Very time consuming for a newbie. I usually have my brother do these but I guess I should learn.:)
I'm starting to think its easier to make them by hand.:)

:lol: HAHAHAH,....:lol:
OUTSTANDING! Now that you have successfully created the letter "O" lets see the rest of the alphabet!!!!:D

Seriously... Thats great! Once you get something "real" cut.. lets see it! Can you post an updated vid of the machine running? I would like to see, as I am sure everyone else, this running at operating speeds.

When are you adding the 4th and 5th axis???!!!??:shock:

:lol: HAHAHAH,....:lol:
OUTSTANDING! Now that you have successfully created the letter "O" lets see the rest of the alphabet!!!!:D

Seriously... Thats great! Once you get something "real" cut.. lets see it! Can you post an updated vid of the machine running? I would like to see, as I am sure everyone else, this running at operating speeds.

When are you adding the 4th and 5th axis???!!!??:shock:

Here is the last .01 finish cut on a 3" x 1/2 pocket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pg3rXm5sxA

I need to install the real motor couplers but other than that its done. It is about as accurate as could be expected. 001 on the dial indicator, so no complaints.

Don

Back