CNC for acrylic projects

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Don, this is an exciting thread. Like so many, I'd like to get into CNC but the cost of software would be a killer. Do you think the CAD/CAM software described HERE would do what is needed? I'm asking because the "level 3 package" sells for $300 on ebay.

Don,
I have a whole file of gcode thumbhole flanges I use for my cnc machine. If you're willing I can send them to you. PM me if interested.
les

Don, this is an exciting thread. Like so many, I'd like to get into CNC but the cost of software would be a killer. Do you think the CAD/CAM software described HERE would do what is needed? I'm asking because the "level 3 package" sells for $300 on ebay.

FWIW with my limited experience its fine for 2d. I wasnt thrilled with the 3d but again Ive just played with it. I have talked to the Dolphin sales guy IIRC his name is Chad and really seems to want to get the company on the map.
I think I'd probably go with alibri sp? before any other especially if your experience level is low.

Don

Don
great project followed from the start but had one ? what holds down the work peice? And are you selling key hole flanges yet?
Let me know Dave

Don
great project followed from the start but had one ? what holds down the work peice? And are you selling key hole flanges yet?
Let me know Dave

I'm not doing much until I get my tank done. Holding the work piece down is easy. Double sided carpet tape is esiest for one off things. If I do more than one i just cut a jam chuck. Its real easy to keep the piece in place as long as you use very good bits and dont try to cut faster than the bit can cut.

Don

CNC Mill

I have a Tiag CNC mill that I have never really used. I am wanting to makes some skimmer flanges and twist lock plates. Can anyone help me with a CAD file? I am not very skilled with CAD or Mach 3. Also do you think its possiable to flip the material and be able to cut a 12 part on a 6 inch machine?

I think your going to have a hard time getting 12" out of a machine with a 3" center. Cad files arent going to do much good for twist lock. The ramps are done on the cam side which is propritary to the mill.

Don

I would still like a CAD file, not a CAM. I can take it to a sign shop and get it cut.

The ramps are made on the cam side the cad file is just useless circles and arcs. This is why folks struggle doing twist locks on a 3 axis machine.

Don

For 8" outside diameter pipe. I just want the CAD drawing. I want to send it to someone to get a price on having it cut.

You either have to know what cam app or file format, cad files can be a number of different formats. dxf is probably the most popular.

Don

The ramps are made on the cam side the cad file is just useless circles and arcs. This is why folks struggle doing twist locks on a 3 axis machine.

Don

If I remember correctly, the Cad drawing I sent you is compatible with most cam programs & I drew it 3 dimensional so Unless you didn't rotate it 3D you'd never know.:confused:

If I remember correctly, the Cad drawing I sent you is compatible with most cam programs & I drew it 3 dimensional so Unless you didn't rotate it 3D you'd never know.:confused:

:) That drawing ended up being unusable by the cam the arc segments were drawn but not joined.The problem with 3d files is they have to be drawn to meet the needs of a specific cam application. I think alot of people expect that you can just draw a picture,slap some plastic on the cnc and wala it just cuts it out. It doesnt work that way. Line and arc segment have to all be one other wise its just mess when it goes to the cam. For example a keyhole has to be one line. It would be drawn as if you were using a pencil without lifting the pencil off the paper. Sort of hard to explain but there is more to a usable dxf file than meets the eye.

Don

I understand that, probably didn't set up the proper parms to get a complete segmented drawing on my part. I have used Autodesk & Pro "E" CAM but there are so many out there hard to know what these machines require sometimes.

Back