CNC for acrylic projects

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I understand that, probably didn't set up the proper parms to get a complete segmented drawing on my part. I have used Autodesk & Pro "E" CAM but there are so many out there hard to know what these machines require sometimes.

Its sort of a pain. You have to draw just a bunch of circles and join them together otherwise arcs want to make a tight corner that obviously a round tool cant cut. If that makes any sense.
So a keyhole consist of two big circles to make the slot, one little circle to make the end of the slot and another circle for the bolt head end. Then you join all the intersections and delete the un needed arcs. Then of course you cant use drill points on a cnc router, you have to use a tiny 1/8 mill and cut the #7 hole for the 1/4 20 bolts in a circle instead plunging like you would with a regular mill. The oring grooves are another issue. You cant cut on a line you cut inside it or outside it. The cam will see it as a pocket rather than a groove so the grooves have to be third drawing. So basicly it takes 3 files to make one flange. Then you have to edit the TAP file so the cutter goes the other directions otherwise the acrylic burns and melts. Before you can do any cutting there needs to be a fixture file because the acrylic need to sit in a pocket because there is no place for the vacuum chuck to hold it down after its been turned into a ring with holes. Since your changing the shape you need a second fixture for the bottom part of the flange. Since your doing a fixture change you need a fixture pocketed and indexed for the first two fixtures. Once you have all these files put together and the fixtures made you can make a 10" flange in about 5 minutes. This is one of the reasons one off cnc work is so expensive.:)

Don

Well I started out with circles but in the process the were exploded & segmented, I could of just drawn 3d solids or wire-mesh but regardless It seems to be a deal to process, unless your mass producing these I'd dare to say making one wouldn't be worth it.

Don,
Nice project.:)
Have you made anything else on your machine?
Jonathan

Ive done alot of little stuff but honestly it collects more dust than anything else. I think I'm going to put it up for sale or part it out just to get the space back in my shop. It was fun but enjoy traditional hand work much more.

Don

Just so everyone knows this machine is now gone, parted out on ebay. I can still help with keyhole flanges but sorry no more twistlocks.

Thanks
Don

I'm a big DIY'er and could only begin to imagine what I could do with a CNC, let alone an affordable DIY one. I'll be following along here.

Thanks Don

hello,

Did anyone ever finish the keyhole flange dwg file?

I would love to get one for a six inch flange, top and bottom please

thanks

bill

Back