Co2

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedymichael

Arctic Fish
Can CO2 go bad? I had a CO2 bottle in my garage for awhile (3 years). I hooked up my calcium reactor and I have the drip pretty high and it doesn't seem to be melting the coral very fast? Is there any suggestions on why I am not melting?

I am assuming that by "drip" you mean the bubble rate? If you're effluent is dripping out too fast, that might be the problem; the water may not be in the reaction chamber long enough for the CO2 to lower the water's PH. Also, by what means are you measuring the "coral not melting fast enough" (I'm assuming, again, that you're talking about the crushed coral skeleton that makes up the reactor media). There should be a PH meter involved here somewhere, specifically directly where the effluent leaves the reactor (have the effluent drip into a glass that spills over into your sump). And have you been monitoring your calcium levels to see the results?

I did mean bubble. Sorry. My calcium levels have been low. I measure everyday with Elos test kit. I have been using Cbalance to get back up to 400. I drew a line on the calcium reactor with a dry erase marker to measure the media. I have a PH probe in a cup already and I cannot get it below 7.4.. That is why I was thinking maybe bad Co2, Coral, or maybe I should empty everything out and start back over fresh?

I am assuming that by "drip" you mean the bubble rate? If you're effluent is dripping out too fast, that might be the problem; the water may not be in the reaction chamber long enough for the CO2 to lower the water's PH. Also, by what means are you measuring the "coral not melting fast enough" (I'm assuming, again, that you're talking about the crushed coral skeleton that makes up the reactor media). There should be a PH meter involved here somewhere, specifically directly where the effluent leaves the reactor (have the effluent drip into a glass that spills over into your sump). And have you been monitoring your calcium levels to see the results?

Ah I guess in hindsight it does kinda seem like a stupid questio:oops:. Oh well if ya never ask you'll never learn:lol:

I agree. I am still a newbie too mattleycrue76. You won't learn anything by not asking. Just remember to be careful about taking everything you hear as gospel. It's good to get a range of feedback from different people. Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. I have seem some weird things in the short time I have been in the hobby:)

Thanks everyone for the help. I will turn the efluent drip down more and see how that works.

There are no stupid questions, and yes it is very true that you can't take everything that gets posted on these forums as being completely true; especially when there are so many variables involved with pretty much everything in this hobby. I'm by no means an expert on calcium reactors, but I've got some experience with a couple different models and I know that it can be tricky getting them dialed in just right. But once you do, it's worth the effort when you don't have to dose calcium supplements every day.
don't know if you've seen this one yet, but it's helpful:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

Last edited:
a lot of people do not know this, very good point!!

Why would you want to melt your coral? Bear with me if this is a stupid question.

Matteycrue,
He is talking about dead coral bodies (aragonite) in Calcium reactor. You use CO2 to melt aragonite to create calcium and magnesium for your live corals. You are recycling. ;)

The CO2 that is slowly bubbled in with the water in the Calcium Reactor, creates carbonic acid making the PH quite low inside the chamber. That very low PH saltwater dissolves the Aragonite back into the salt water solution (where it originally grew from) and this carbonate and calcium rich water steadily drips into the aquarium to replenish the loss due to coral and Coraline algae growth.

Back