Cold salt water rock type

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

elhewman

Probobly should have asked this way earlier since I will be collecting this evening but are there any rocks I should avoid for my cold saltwater tank?
All the rocks in SE AK seem to be very dense however the subtidal and low intertidal rocksan be very beautiful with colorful organisms such as sponge and alge and various sea weeds.

For now I am going to play it safe and collect weed-free rocks at the high intertidal. Most will have various sized barnacales ant that should be fun enough.

Thanks

I forgot to say this will be a misc tidpool life tank with perhaps a few small rockfish. and I Do have circulating pumps set up.

i would assume that anything you find that is natural to the area of collection would be fine, it exists in the "wild" in the area your trying to recreate at home so it'd only be natural to want to put it in your tank. As per the "weeds", i'd go for several different types but avoid kelp as it will overgrow the tank with light and without light it just disintegrates.

I haven't paid all that much attention to the composition of the rocks that I collect as none are porus enough to matter. Most of the "sea weed" gets mowed down by the inhabitants, so that has not been a problem. I just go collect more rock to keep them happy. Barnacles are fun, I can't keep them or mussels for long, they quickly become food :)

Back